ALL >> Education >> View Article
How To Win The Publishing Game
Total Articles: 34
You are reading this article; clearly indicating your interest in the publishing game. You are not alone. Many want to be a part of this pretty bizarre business. Thanks to technology which has served us with social media marketing, POD, e-books and lots more.
Numerous new writers want to publish their books. However, many writers lack the understanding of publishing. They are not aware how it works and what is needed to break into this industry.
Everyone harbors a dream of becoming a published author. Unluckily, the venture from a rough manuscript to published author is slightly tricky. If you want to get your book noticed, and win the publishing game, here are some secrets you should reveal...
·Do Your Research- Start your quest for a literary agent. Remember, most of the publishing houses do not accept manuscripts from writers without an agent. Finding the right literary agent will enable you to have an insider take on industry trends. If you are looking for a literary agent, you must do thorough research to find a good literary agent. Many times, agents look for authors whose work is known prior. Some agents are interested in specific kinds of manuscripts only. So, look for an agent wisely.
· Send out query letter- You should tailor a single page cover letter that introduces you and your book to the particular agent you want to contact. This letter is a perfect way to represent.
· Send in Your Work and Synopsis- If they like your query letter, agents will be interested in your manuscript and a synopsis. Keep in mind that not all agents follow the same submission guidelines. Read these keenly. When you follow the recommended guidelines, you are showing that you can follow simple instructions. Your work definitely speaks for itself.
Your presentation should be professional. Always use standard A4 white paper. Properly format your manuscript with a double-spaced, 12 point font like Courier or Times New Roman.
A synopsis is like a short digest of your book. It may vary between 2 to 20 pages depending on the particular preference of an agent.
· Meet With Agents- If an agent wants to meet up, it is a positive sign. Most probably they want to represent you and never miss a chance to impress them. Remember, it is not a job interview. Take it as a date where two people are interested in starting a nice partnership. It doesn't mean to take it lightly but present your work with confidence.
· Choosing The Right Agent- remember, this is the most important decision you will make. Always choose the one who is less likely to give up on you if things go wrong. A good literary agent will at times be a scrapper, and that is the one you want.
· Polish Your Manuscript And Send It To Publishers- Your agent may suggest some points they think would benefit your manuscript. After such refinements, the agent would send it out to the publishers he or she think are best suited to your book.
· Get A Deal- Usually publishers negotiate a deal through an agent. Every publisher presents their vision for the author. There may be a number of rounds with publishers and it is settled when both agree on the terms.
Payment is best left to your agent. Advances may vary from very high to quite low. Usually the advance is paid in quarters. The editor may request few more drafts with revisions, prior a book hitting the shelves. Review and drafts will make improvements to structure, character and clarity of expression. Trust your editor and this will help you come up with your best.
· Ensure Your Success
In today's competitive world, promotion and marketing of a book counts for a lot. You must partake in publicity. Be a part of blogging, library events, press interviews, etc.
Remember, publishing is a complicated and very structured business. You need to learn about book development and this industry. The game is yours if you understand it clearly.
Education Articles1. Insight Of The Key Benefits Of Corporate Training
2. Which Are The Best Engineering Courses In India 2017?
3. Essay On Drug Crime Investigation
Author: jackson bird
4. Dyslexia Software Ready For Windows 10s - Ghotit Dyslexia
5. Fishy Things That Nobody Told You About Tax Accountant In Rockdale
Author: Austin Loader
6. Digital Marketing Training Institute In Chandigarh, Mohali India
7. Sap Online Training By Learn It Training
Author: Learn IT Training, Hyderabad Based Online Training
8. Prepare Your Child With Summer Tutoring Programs
Author: TAS New York
9. Engineers Have The Ability To Change The World
Author: ponting brown
10. Which Are The Best Engineering And Architecture Courses In The Construction Industry?
11. Past Responsive Webdesign: Tomorrows Technology
Author: Learn web designing course Bangalore, Infocampus i
12. Explore, Learn, Construct & Grow With Cept University
Author: cept university
13. Best Advice You Could Ever Get About Taking Online Classes
Author: Benjamin Williams
14. Numerical Simulation Of Flow Ower Flat - Sloped Stepped Spillway
15. How To Improve Academic Performance: 5 Things You’re Forgetting To Do
Author: Todd Manning