ALL >> Education >> View Article
Why Your Novel Needs A Manuscript Critique Before You Send It Out
Total Articles: 41
You know the value of your words. You know how many hours you spent on them, how you honed your craft, and how anyone with eyes to see will see. Unfortunately, you can't see. You can see what you want to see, and you can see many good things, but as a writer who just finished a novel (or short story), you are too close to the work to see what doesn't work.
You can see many of the weak spots if you walk away from your work for at least one full year. Then, you will see it with fresh eyes--not a mother's eyes, but a surgeon's eyes.
You must be willing to sacrifice your babies.
The sentences that you labored over.
Not all of them, just the ones that drag your story down, or take it to some distant land, or don't work.
But can you be both the mother and the surgeon? Probably not. Even if you walk away for a year, your words will still glow because you made them live. But they are dying in the drawer or the computer folder. Let them breathe by offering them over to a seasoned eye, to an expert, not to your friend or your coworker. Instead, offer your novel to a professional, someone you pay money to. Why? Because that paid professional who critiques your manuscript will be invested in your work and respectful of you as a writer. Respect equals honesty. An excellent critique will not only point out what needs help but also what works well. And the paid professional wants a good reference, so he or she will do a good job. The market out there is fierce, so your novel matters.
Q. What is in a critique?
A. A good critique of a novel or short story should examine much of the following:
The overall story-arc
o Are there complications?
o Is there a crisis point?
o Is there a climax?
o Does the main character act, or is he or she passive?
o Is there a clear antagonist?
o Does the reader know your characters?
o Do you know your characters?
Do readers care about your story? Why or why not? What can be done to make readers care more?
Look for someone who knows and cares about writing narratives. Your heart went onto the page. Don't offer it to just anyone.
Education Articles1. Data Science Is Increasing Extensively And It Is Everywhere
2. Why I Should Join Digital Marketing Training In Bhopal
Author: Sanjay Burman
3. How To Write Pertinent Assignments
Author: Jessica Gross
4. Digital Marketing Trend In 2018
Author: TOPS Technologies
5. Top 10 Digital Marketing Tools
Author: Learn Vern
6. Latest Cisco 200-125 Exam Dumps 2018
7. Simple Mule Esb Interview Questions |bytes Online Training
Author: Rahul Tandale
8. The Right Place To Get Your Get Your Engineering Degree
Author: ponting brown
9. Open Gateways To Your Dream Mba Programmes At Symbiosis With Snap!
Author: Mohan Patil
10. Optimising Keywords With Seo Training Institute In Mumbai
Author: Jayesh Jagtap
11. Empower Your Skills With Ethical Hacking Training Program
12. Learn Web Designing Courses In Chandigarh
Author: James Digosta
13. Different Courses And Programmes Of Learning Chinese Language.
Author: Michel Kern
14. How To Install Windows On A Mac With Boot Camp (boot Camp Software)
15. What Should You Do When Receive A Message “macro Is Disabled Due To Security Settings?”
Author: Multisoft Virtual Academy