ALL >> Education >> View Article
Why Your Novel Needs A Manuscript Critique Before You Send It Out
Total Articles: 41
You know the value of your words. You know how many hours you spent on them, how you honed your craft, and how anyone with eyes to see will see. Unfortunately, you can't see. You can see what you want to see, and you can see many good things, but as a writer who just finished a novel (or short story), you are too close to the work to see what doesn't work.
You can see many of the weak spots if you walk away from your work for at least one full year. Then, you will see it with fresh eyes--not a mother's eyes, but a surgeon's eyes.
You must be willing to sacrifice your babies.
The sentences that you labored over.
Not all of them, just the ones that drag your story down, or take it to some distant land, or don't work.
But can you be both the mother and the surgeon? Probably not. Even if you walk away for a year, your words will still glow because you made them live. But they are dying in the drawer or the computer folder. Let them breathe by offering them over to a seasoned eye, to an expert, not to your friend or your coworker. Instead, offer your novel to a professional, someone you pay money to. Why? Because that paid professional who critiques your manuscript will be invested in your work and respectful of you as a writer. Respect equals honesty. An excellent critique will not only point out what needs help but also what works well. And the paid professional wants a good reference, so he or she will do a good job. The market out there is fierce, so your novel matters.
Q. What is in a critique?
A. A good critique of a novel or short story should examine much of the following:
The overall story-arc
o Are there complications?
o Is there a crisis point?
o Is there a climax?
o Does the main character act, or is he or she passive?
o Is there a clear antagonist?
o Does the reader know your characters?
o Do you know your characters?
Do readers care about your story? Why or why not? What can be done to make readers care more?
Look for someone who knows and cares about writing narratives. Your heart went onto the page. Don't offer it to just anyone.
Education Articles1. Qtp Training
Author: SVR TECHNOLOGIES
2. Educating Your Children In The Right Process With An Effective Preschool Education
Author: Lyn Connolly
3. Oracle Fusion Financials Overview – All Need To Know!
4. Top 5 Advantages Of Distance Mba Learning
5. How To Choose The Best Computer Programming Training Course For You
6. Software Training Institutes In Bangalore
Author: first enquiry
7. Welcome To Bangladesh Medical College
Author: Jeson Roy
8. What Is Java And Why To Learn Java?
9. Why Should You Hire Us To Complete Your Online Assignments
Author: Mark Giaccone
10. Benefits Of Aws Certification
Author: Amit Novelvista
11. Digital Marketing Course Training Center In Hyderabad With Google Cert
Author: NIDM Hyderabad
12. Swift: A New Programming Language Developed By Apple
13. How To Stay Committed In An Online Course
Author: Tom Greenfield
14. Top 4 Reasons To Choose Data Science Training
15. Enhance The Possibility Of Reaching Wide Group Of Audience
Author: Mrs. Manushree Soni