ALL >> Education >> View Article
Why Your Novel Needs A Manuscript Critique Before You Send It Out
Total Articles: 41
You know the value of your words. You know how many hours you spent on them, how you honed your craft, and how anyone with eyes to see will see. Unfortunately, you can't see. You can see what you want to see, and you can see many good things, but as a writer who just finished a novel (or short story), you are too close to the work to see what doesn't work.
You can see many of the weak spots if you walk away from your work for at least one full year. Then, you will see it with fresh eyes--not a mother's eyes, but a surgeon's eyes.
You must be willing to sacrifice your babies.
The sentences that you labored over.
Not all of them, just the ones that drag your story down, or take it to some distant land, or don't work.
But can you be both the mother and the surgeon? Probably not. Even if you walk away for a year, your words will still glow because you made them live. But they are dying in the drawer or the computer folder. Let them breathe by offering them over to a seasoned eye, to an expert, not to your friend or your coworker. Instead, offer your novel to a professional, someone you pay money to. Why? Because that paid professional who critiques your manuscript will be invested in your work and respectful of you as a writer. Respect equals honesty. An excellent critique will not only point out what needs help but also what works well. And the paid professional wants a good reference, so he or she will do a good job. The market out there is fierce, so your novel matters.
Q. What is in a critique?
A. A good critique of a novel or short story should examine much of the following:
The overall story-arc
o Are there complications?
o Is there a crisis point?
o Is there a climax?
o Does the main character act, or is he or she passive?
o Is there a clear antagonist?
o Does the reader know your characters?
o Do you know your characters?
Do readers care about your story? Why or why not? What can be done to make readers care more?
Look for someone who knows and cares about writing narratives. Your heart went onto the page. Don't offer it to just anyone.
Education Articles1. Insight Of The Key Benefits Of Corporate Training
2. Which Are The Best Engineering Courses In India 2017?
3. Essay On Drug Crime Investigation
Author: jackson bird
4. Dyslexia Software Ready For Windows 10s - Ghotit Dyslexia
5. Fishy Things That Nobody Told You About Tax Accountant In Rockdale
Author: Austin Loader
6. Digital Marketing Training Institute In Chandigarh, Mohali India
7. Sap Online Training By Learn It Training
Author: Learn IT Training, Hyderabad Based Online Training
8. Prepare Your Child With Summer Tutoring Programs
Author: TAS New York
9. Engineers Have The Ability To Change The World
Author: ponting brown
10. Which Are The Best Engineering And Architecture Courses In The Construction Industry?
11. Past Responsive Webdesign: Tomorrows Technology
Author: Learn web designing course Bangalore, Infocampus i
12. Explore, Learn, Construct & Grow With Cept University
Author: cept university
13. Best Advice You Could Ever Get About Taking Online Classes
Author: Benjamin Williams
14. Numerical Simulation Of Flow Ower Flat - Sloped Stepped Spillway
15. How To Improve Academic Performance: 5 Things You’re Forgetting To Do
Author: Todd Manning