ALL >> Education >> View Article
Specialty Book - New York May Not Be The Best Venue
Total Articles: 40
What is an author or writer to do these days? The competition is quite fierce for getting something published. First of all, just about anyone with a word processing program is writing a book, or is considering preparing a manuscript in the future. Further, many publishing companies have not been able to make the money they've made in the past, and they're getting even more stingy with what types of books they will publish. There used to be a 70 to 1 ratio of manuscripts which got published, and those that failed to make the grade.
Today, the odds are even worse for a new author or writer, and that's why it makes sense to go find a specialty publisher. Chances are a specialty publisher will not be headquartered in New York, neither will their favorite literary agents they work with. Of course, none of this is news to anyone who's been around the publishing industry or tried to get a book published in the last five years, but there is more to the story.
There was an interesting article in Poetry and Writer's Magazine 2013 issue in a special section titled; "Not Necessarily New York - Does It Really Matter Where Your Agent Is Based?" The article titled; "Literary Agents Everywhere, Not Just New York," by Michael Borne.
As it turns out, because of the Internet you can work just about anywhere. Believe me when I tell you I am far from any large city, and I've written a very large amount of content. Many literary agents, and publishers have also headed for the hills, and they also do everything online. In my local area I know of several graphic designers and book layout specialists, and they've chosen to live here and work online with customers around the country.
Hiring a literary agent in New York, or trying to find a publisher from New York will not only be costly, it may not work out for you. Finding a specialty niche publisher, and a literary agent who will truly work for you, and at a very decent rate because they don't have high overhead of living and working in New York, could very well serve your purpose. In fact, there is a specialty publisher who publishes books in a certain venue I like to write that lives in a suburb of Denver, and I met them through a literary agent that works just north of Albuquerque New Mexico. What difference does it make?
Yes, it looks better if your publisher is in New York, but many of the publishers who are not in New York have New York addresses and telephone numbers anyway. We live in a global mobile world - things just aren't the same anymore. I hope you will please remember this and think on it.
Education Articles1. Schools In Sohna Road, Gurgaon: A Smart Choice For Kids
Author: Abhinav Singh
2. Know What It Takes To Become A Good Pole Dancing Teacher
Author: Dee Heath
3. The Future Scope Of Ios App Development
4. Why Java Se Is A Good Choice For Implementing Real-time Systems
5. Chinese Language: Scope And Career Opportunities
Author: sifil symbiosis
6. Learn How To Judge The Best B-school For Yourself!
Author: Sukanta Singha
7. Discover The Spirit Of Design At Avantika University
Author: Gaurav Peshkar
8. How To Use Technology For Development Of Your Kid Without Turning It Into Bane?
Author: Shivangi Joshi
9. Instant Success 1y0-340 Exam With Valid 1y0-340 Questions Dumps 2018
Author: Jessica Fay
10. Learning Objectives Of R Programming Training
11. Early Learning Center And Its Role In Childhood Education
Author: Kelly Reed
12. Java Programming Language, Platforms, Java Virtual Machine, Jvm Without Java
13. Architecture Of Search Engine
Author: gagan deep ahik
14. Tlshs-degree Course In Hotel Management
15. Which College Is Best For An Mba/pgdm Among Itm Bangalore Or Iba Bangalore?
Author: sujatha Reddy