ALL >> Education >> View Article
Specialty Book - New York May Not Be The Best Venue
Total Articles: 40
What is an author or writer to do these days? The competition is quite fierce for getting something published. First of all, just about anyone with a word processing program is writing a book, or is considering preparing a manuscript in the future. Further, many publishing companies have not been able to make the money they've made in the past, and they're getting even more stingy with what types of books they will publish. There used to be a 70 to 1 ratio of manuscripts which got published, and those that failed to make the grade.
Today, the odds are even worse for a new author or writer, and that's why it makes sense to go find a specialty publisher. Chances are a specialty publisher will not be headquartered in New York, neither will their favorite literary agents they work with. Of course, none of this is news to anyone who's been around the publishing industry or tried to get a book published in the last five years, but there is more to the story.
There was an interesting article in Poetry and Writer's Magazine 2013 issue in a special section titled; "Not Necessarily New York - Does It Really Matter Where Your Agent Is Based?" The article titled; "Literary Agents Everywhere, Not Just New York," by Michael Borne.
As it turns out, because of the Internet you can work just about anywhere. Believe me when I tell you I am far from any large city, and I've written a very large amount of content. Many literary agents, and publishers have also headed for the hills, and they also do everything online. In my local area I know of several graphic designers and book layout specialists, and they've chosen to live here and work online with customers around the country.
Hiring a literary agent in New York, or trying to find a publisher from New York will not only be costly, it may not work out for you. Finding a specialty niche publisher, and a literary agent who will truly work for you, and at a very decent rate because they don't have high overhead of living and working in New York, could very well serve your purpose. In fact, there is a specialty publisher who publishes books in a certain venue I like to write that lives in a suburb of Denver, and I met them through a literary agent that works just north of Albuquerque New Mexico. What difference does it make?
Yes, it looks better if your publisher is in New York, but many of the publishers who are not in New York have New York addresses and telephone numbers anyway. We live in a global mobile world - things just aren't the same anymore. I hope you will please remember this and think on it.
Education Articles1. Qtp Training
Author: SVR TECHNOLOGIES
2. Educating Your Children In The Right Process With An Effective Preschool Education
Author: Lyn Connolly
3. Oracle Fusion Financials Overview – All Need To Know!
4. Top 5 Advantages Of Distance Mba Learning
5. How To Choose The Best Computer Programming Training Course For You
6. Software Training Institutes In Bangalore
Author: first enquiry
7. Welcome To Bangladesh Medical College
Author: Jeson Roy
8. What Is Java And Why To Learn Java?
9. Why Should You Hire Us To Complete Your Online Assignments
Author: Mark Giaccone
10. Benefits Of Aws Certification
Author: Amit Novelvista
11. Digital Marketing Course Training Center In Hyderabad With Google Cert
Author: NIDM Hyderabad
12. Swift: A New Programming Language Developed By Apple
13. How To Stay Committed In An Online Course
Author: Tom Greenfield
14. Top 4 Reasons To Choose Data Science Training
15. Enhance The Possibility Of Reaching Wide Group Of Audience
Author: Mrs. Manushree Soni