ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Bicyclist Convicted Of Vehicular Manslaughter After Fatal San Francisco Bicycle AccidentBy Expert Author: Greg Phillips
A bicyclist has been sentenced to probation and 1,000 hours of community service after he allegedly struck and killed a pedestrian in a bicycle accident in the Castro District of San Francisco last year.
The case was highly unusual. The preponderance of bike accidents in San Francisco typically involve motor vehicles versus bicyclists. Many citizens were surprised to learn, in this case, that a cyclist could be convicted of vehicular manslaughter, but San Francisco bike attorneys who understand the law were not surprised.
According to numerous reports, Chris Bucchere, 37, was crossing a busy intersection when struck and killed 71-year-old Sutchi Hui. Hui was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries 4 days later. He is survived by his wife.
"Mr. Hui was a loving husband, father, and grandfather who tragically lost his life in an incident that could have easily been prevented," San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón said in a press statement. "Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists must share the road in a responsible way because there are dire consequences when traffic laws are disregarded."
Why this bicycle accident case is so unique
This is the first time in history that a bicyclist has been convicted of vehicular manslaughter in California, according to the reports. But while we don't typically hear about bicyclists being convicted of vehicular manslaughter, it's not unprecedented that such a sentence should be handed down. If you look at California statutes, bicyclists share the same rights and responsibilities as motorists, and bicycles are commonly identified under the umbrella of motor vehicles. Bicyclists are responsible for following the same laws, honoring the same speed limits and sharing the same roads. It is appropriate that they would be subject to the same consequences, from a legal standpoint.
Have you been the victim of a bicycle collision?
We all have a responsibility to share the road: motor vehicle drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians and even skateboarders. If you or someone you love has been injured or even killed as the result of another person's reckless actions on the road, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a qualified San Francisco personal injury attorney who specializes in bike injury cases and find out if you have a case. There are time constraints that must be honored for any personal injury case, so the sooner you act, the better. Don't hesitate another moment.
Legal Articles1. Injured In A Slip And Fall - When To A Hire A Lawyer?
2. Guidelines To Choosing The Best Law Firm For Your Business
Author: Charles Silver
3. Personal Injury Law Firms - Getting The Right Slip And Fall Lawyer
4. Basic Need To Knows For Slip And Fall Lawyers
5. The Sydney Family Law Mediation Can Help To Resolve Disputes In A Friendly Manner
6. Truck Accident Attorney – Top 5 Things To Look For
7. Seat Belt Injury Law - What You Need To Know
8. Third Party Negligence- Hire A Personal Injury Law Firm
Author: Mark Joshes is the author of this Article.
10. How To Get Effective Legal Compensation For Ivc Filter Injury Case In Texas?
Author: Nick Feizy
11. Why Hiring A Wrongful Death Lawyer Is Very Important
12. Top Orange California Personal Injury Lawyer Announcing New Office Location And Free Case Evaluation
13. Contact Experienced Houston Dwi Lawyer To Prove Your Innocence In The Court
14. Succession Planning And Forensic Accounting: Need For Professional Services!
15. Clarify All Your Details Regarding Succession Planning And Accounting Services!
Author: Bob Mussa