ALL >> Education >> View Article
Should Beginning Screenplay Writers Follow Trends
Total Articles: 35
It is a cliche that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but in many ways it is the truth. Studios and television stations are more likely to create similar material than what is already out there because they see it as a lesser risk. For example, the recent success of The Twilight Saga has spawned a number of new television shows and movies, such as the HBO hit True Blood. Also, the success of the first Spiderman and X-Men movies are largely responsible for the plethora of recent superhero films such as The Dark Knight and the Fantastic Four.
As a beginning writer you may be tempted to follow a popular trend for your first screenplay. It makes sense in a lot of ways. If studios are buying scripts about vampires and you want to sell a script, it isn't hard to put the two together. Plus, you have plenty of examples which to model your work off of. However, this is not necessarily the best way to look at it. For one thing, by the point that you finish your script, the market will probably be oversaturated. If you've seen ten vampire movies, you've seen them all. For another thing, studio executives will probably see your script and dismiss it out of hand as another Twilight rip-off. They have probably read more than enough of those.
Rather than follow a trend exactly, you could try a different track. Look at the broader trend, and then make a change from it. Not a huge change, just a slightly different direction. For example, if you see that vampires are the hot thing right now, just broaden your perception slightly. Vampires aren't necessarily the whole trend. The trend could be the supernatural in general. So instead of writing a script about vampires, you could write one about zombies or werewolves. This puts you within the trend without being as derivative. Essentially, you want something about your script to stand out. If your script doesn't stand out, it won't get bought or made regardless of how good it is.
Better even than following a broader trend, is simply to write a script about something that you are passionate about or you're interested in. If the inner court dealings of the Byzantine Empire fascinate you, write a script about that. If you're more about the zany misadventures that dorm mates get into than write about that. The truth is that trends die out quickly, six months from now everyone will have moved on to the next big thing. Luckily for you, new trends appear even quicker. You might even be able to start one of your own.
Education Articles1. One Of The Best And Renowned Cbse School In Pcmc, Pune - Academic Heights Public School
Author: Academic Heights Public School
2. Best Selenium Training Institute In Marathahalli Bangalore
Author: Gyan Guide
3. Accelerate Your Stagnant Career With An Executive Mba
Author: Great Learning
4. Open Access Online Journal Helps Researchers To Provide Research Papers
Author: Dr. Pawan Verma
5. New Mobile App.- 1.9 Launched By Justdakhila For Those Parents Searching School For Their Children
6. Best Spoken English, Pte, Ielts, Toefl Classes In Kurukshetra Harayana
Author: British Institute
7. Improve Career Path With Sap Certification | Sap Simple Finance Training
Author: venkat reddy
8. What Is Digital Marketing? What Are The Modules In Digital Marketing Courses?
9. Take Admissions In One Of The Best Engineering College
Author: ponting brown
10. Ccna Training: A Way For Bright Future
11. Doing The Sunday School Activities Perfectly And Own The Peace
Author: Parveen Kumar
12. Sap C_terp10_67 – Business Process Integration Certification
Author: Jose White
13. Usage Of Selenium In Automated Testing
Author: Siyaram Ray
14. Sap Certified Technology Associate – C_hanatech_11 Edition 2016
Author: Jose White
15. Pmp Is A Rage Among Employers As Well. Enrol For Pmp Training In Hyderabad Right Away