ALL >> Education >> View Article
Key Tips To Help You Break Into Script Writing
Total Articles: 40
Script writing is a fantastic way to branch out of the usual writing formats of article writing, writing short stories and creating full-on manuscripts. Let's look at some different ways to break into the wonderful world of script writing. You'll see that it isn't necessarily as exclusive as you may have thought!
1. Find your market. There is a huge market for scripts. TV production companies, radio channels and film companies are all looking for script writers at some point or other. If this feels a little too daunting, why not start with something a little closer to home? You may want to get involved with a local drama group and their productions. Or perhaps you could work with schools and colleges, supporting them in their routine productions.
2. Write about what you know. It makes sense to use your existing knowledge and interests in subjects to help fuel your script writing passion. If soap operas float your boat then spend some time thinking of new and exciting ideas for original plot lines to existing soap operas...or you might find yourself coming up with an idea for a brand new soap opera! By pulling on your own interests, you'll potentially find an instant starting point for your script writing.
3. Ensure your work is original. There is much to be learnt from looking at other successful scripts or script writers...but no production company is going to be interested in producing an idea that has already been used.
4. Try to avoid using a narrator. Yes, it is hard to write a story that is told solely through action and dialogue. But then this is the challenge of script writing. Whilst narrators can at time be used in scripts, try to avoid defaulting to including a narrator all of the time.
5. Choose characters wisely. This piece of advice can be applied to all forms of writing, but remember that every character should be convincing as an individual, and that even minor characters need a reason for their existence; even if this reason is simply that they help develop the lead characters a little more.
6. Keep dialogue real. This is tricky. One tip is to buddy up with other script writers when it comes to characterisation. By using the ideas of another person, you'll find it easier to create a wider range of believable characters.
7. Cut out the routine. Keeping dialogue real is important yes...but most of what we chat about is nonsense, and certainly not something an audience would be interested in listening to. So ensure that your dialogue is real...but that the topics discussed are of interest.
8. Remember who you are writing for. Scripts written for radio for example need to be different to those written for TV, as the audience is different and the way in which they are accessing the script is different. You need to keep your audience in mind at all times as you create your script.
9. Hear the script in action. The only way that you can test how well your script really works is by listening to it spoken out loud. You can either rope in a couple of trusted friends to read the script for you, or you can read it aloud to yourself.
10. Adhere to submission guidelines. Make sure that you always lay your script out professionally, and adhere to the submission guidelines of each body you are approaching.
Education Articles1. Are You Looking For Online Tutorial For Programming?
2. Private Tuitions From Experienced And Qualified Teachers For The Student’s Development
Author: Hayden Bowden
3. The Impact Of A School On A Child’s Life
4. Documentation Required For Studying At Melbourne Is Easier With Professional Consultants
Author: Tyler Conley
5. Seek Admission In Igcse Schools In Bangalore
Author: Jayesh Jagtap
6. Learning Objectives Of Itil® Foundation Training Program
7. 4 Ways To Eradicate Guitar Vacillation
Author: Almaden School of Music & Art
8. Hire A Consultant Today Far Dissertation Writing
Author: Dissertation Help
9. Dyslexia Software Goes One Click - Ghotit Dyslexia
10. What Is Digital Marketing
Author: rakesh verma
11. Sap Hana Driving Big Data Startups
12. Why We Stereotype Engineering?
Author: ponting brown
13. Why Best Educational Apps For Kids Succeeds
Author: ponting brown
14. Why It Is Important To Have A Good Digital Marketing Strategy In An Online Business
15. A Week At Homeschool