ALL >> Education >> View Article
Tips For Writing Great Characters For A Screenplay
Total Articles: 37
Creating original and memorable characters can set a screenplay apart from the pack. Strong characters can help to capture the imagination of viewers and hold their interest long after the movie has ended. And because too often movies wind up filled with the same, stereotypical people that viewers have seen time and time again, they can offer writers an opportunity to stretch beyond the everyday.
Now this doesn't mean that every screenplay should be filled with odd balls and weirdos in order to make it unique. However, when you develop characters, don't be satisfied with just the everyday. Give your characters something special: a unique look, an unusual way of viewing the world or even a quirky mannerism. Find something to distinguish them.
Know Your Characters and Their Backstory
Naturally, the only way you can truly create unique characters is by knowing who they are and where they come from. That means you need to know their backstory.
The backstory doesn't have to be pages and pages of information about each character, it's just that one thing that defines how or why the character moves forward in the story. It may be that the character just lost someone they love (think Tom Hanks in "Sleepless in Seattle") or perhaps they lived a different life (like Clint Eastwood's reformed killer in "Unforgiven").
It's important for the writer to know each of their characters and each character's backstory in order to understand how the character will react to what transpires in the script. What can make or break the story is when a character acts completely contrary to what the audience expects. It can break it if it seems out of place or unreal. It can make it if the change is because the character has grown. This is called the character arc. This arc or growth is an important part of any good story.
When viewers ride along with a character and see the character's view of the world around them change, that's character growth. And that's interesting.
Make Them Believable by Creating Details
Another important step in developing characters is making them believable by giving them personal details that make them human and differentiate them from others. These personal details include things like emotions, imperfections, problems, values and depth.
Yes, you may occasionally want to throw a stereotypical character, like a villain, into your story, especially if you are writing comedy or action. However, consider changing the traditional view of the character by adding something new or different to change him up; think of Robert De Niro's character in "Analyze This."
Keep in mind that each of your primary characters needs a different voice. They should have different points of view and mannerisms so that it is easy to distinguish them from one another. Naturally casting will have a lot to do with how the characters look, but it is your job as a writer to provide them each with a distinct personality. You don't want a bunch of little Stepford Wives in your screenplay.
The beauty of creating real-life three-dimensional characters is when they seem to step off the page. They are people you would like to share time with. That's when you know you've written great characters for your screenplay.
Education Articles1. Industrial Safety Online Course
Author: Somiya khatun
2. Intensive Chinese Language Program Shanghai – Become The Master Of The Language
Author: Michel Kern
3. How Primavera Training Program Is Beneficial For Your Career Growth?
4. How Is The Future Of Ios Developer In Today's Technology?
5. Ibm Mdm Online Training
Author: ukumari VirtualNuggets
6. The Online Oracle Interview Questions Help In Your Interview Preparation
7. 10 Most Common Mistakes Every Beginner Java Programmer Makes
8. How Is Ms Ramaiah Institute Of Technology In Terms Of Placements, Ranking, Fees And Admissions?
9. Top Ways To Know How Digital Marketing Grow Your Business Online
Author: Vishal Varma
10. Best Techniques And Tactics For Sales And Marketing Coach
Author: Sanjay Burman
11. Sales And Marketing Strategy By Synture Group For Small Businesses
Author: Mrs. Manushree Soni
12. Best Education Channels In India – Enriching The Students Future
Author: Nitesh Sharma
13. Problems With Programs And The Law Of Attraction
Author: Shannon Panzo
14. Enrol Into An Ielts Coaching Class To Derive Meritorious Results In English
Author: Jackson Snowball
15. Get Familiarize With The Key Benefits Of Cbap Training Program