ALL » Others >> View Article
Whom Will Hit Health Law Smoking PenaltiesBy Expert Author: Bernard Fowler
Cassil, a former smoker, said tobacco users can quit if they put all their effort on that. Their health gets improved immediately when they quit and if they don't quit, premiums for everyone else rise because many smokers start suffering from various chronic health conditions.
Thus these people have higher costs because they engage in an unhealthy behavior. This was made to try to keep insurance affordable for as many individuals as possible. Linda Blumberg, who focuses on health insurance research at the Urban Institute said that the federal exchange includes 26 states that will use the tobacco penalty. However, 8 states have decided not to use it at all.
She said that state exchanges may also decide to charge a lower-than-50% surcharge. Through the Affordable Care Act, the extra tobacco cost is not eligible for the subsidies that low-income policyholders can receive to help them pay for insurance.
Georges Benjamin, executive director at the American Public Health Association, a public health advocacy group considers that penalties will touch some groups harder than others. Tobacco disproportionately targets low-income groups which are more likely to suffer from a number of tobacco-related conditions.
That means low-income people may be taking a harder financial hit when they may need more help, especially if they are dealing with conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or lung cancer.
Instead of penalizing smokers financially, sit would be a good idea for states to provide therapy to help them quit as addictions don't work like that.
The American Lung Association also opposes tobacco surcharges, said Jennifer Singleterry, the group's manager of lung health policy. Smokers should be helped to quit, but not punished for not doing so.
The surcharge could cost people hundreds or even thousands of dollars more, depending on a person's policy and if they are already being charged more for age..
People don't usually quit when they're forced to, they quit when they're ready.
Singleterry said she also worries that smokers' family members, who have higher rates of asthma and other health issues, would also go without care.
Others Articles1. Spinal Injury Survivor Gene Laureano Walks Once Again
2. Couple Retreat Program Nagpur
Author: Avinash Deoskar
Author: Amit Malviya
4. Why You Should Entrust Professional Local Movers In Virginia?
Author: John Ism
5. Delhi – A Place With Historic Heritage And Getaways
Author: Aditya Singh
6. How Driving Simulators Can Change The Game Today
Author: Eesha Zaveri
7. Ese Alquiler Coches Lanzarote Cuanto Convulsiona Amén Un Permiso
Author: Penny Lake
8. El Alquiler Coche Aeropuerto Alicante Jengibre Alufra Una Tolerante
Author: Marco Keldie
9. Top Eight Important Tips To Simplify Your Wedding Ceremony Brilliantly
Author: Anny Thomas
10. Que Alquiler Coches Aeropuerto Alicante Se Afistula Ese Raquis Absorto
Author: Kristina Speckman
11. Este Alquiler Coche Alicante Se Adecenta Este Marmolejo Mamífero Bajo El Trasbordo Enrona Aquel Anes
Author: Clinton Harton
12. Introduction To Capacitors And How They Can Be Purchased
13. Search Engine Marketing In Kitchener Ontario - What Is It And How Can It Help You?
Author: Nick Watson
14. Your Skin And How It Should Be Taken Care Of
Author: Rutuja Gupta
15. Things You Must Consider While Choosing Your Call Girl
Author: Prachi Rai