ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
How Easy Healthy Recipes For Dinner Revived My Love For CookingBy Expert Author: Jeric James
As I grew older I learned how to experiment with dishes that I loved. We had this Sunday barbecue tradition in the family wherein I would showcase the best marinade for chicken that I mixed or my
easy pork marinade variant for the week. I learned how to prepare fresh garden salads using my mom's secret raspberry vinaigrette dressing recipe. In support of my culinary inclination, my parents gifted me with an herb garden that I diligently cultivated throughout high school. It provided me a ready stash of fresh basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano whenever I needed it for the dishes I cooked.
But things changed when I went to college. I lived on-campus and became too busy with academic responsibilities that I started neglecting my love for cooking. There simply wasn't anytime to experiment in the kitchen if you have a gazillion of term papers to write. I lived off fast food and would sometimes skip meals if I was pressed for time. I wasn't eating right. I became unhealthy and had to be hospitalized several times because of it.
When I landed my first job, I resolved to start eating healthy again. Aside from daily exercise, I began preparing my own food using recipes I've researched on the internet. Food magazine subscriptions also came in handy. What I gathered were easy to prepare, low-fat, low-calorie dishes that are perfect for people with a busy lifestyle. It felt good to be cooking again. I've always felt really comfortable working in the kitchen that I once thought of taking some culinary courses if I had some time. Anyways, allow me to share one recipe I've found online that is now a weekly staple on my menu for the week.
Grilled Curried Shrimp with Mango Couscous
(Recipe developed by Anna Berman from Fitness Magazine) - http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/dinner-in-20-easy-healthy-dinner-recipes/?page=7
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon finely diced jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
3/4 pound shrimp, cleaned and shelled, tails on
1 7-ounce container 2 percent Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Lime wedges (optional)
1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Combine with mango, jalapeno pepper, 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, and half the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together red curry paste, vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon of the garlic, and remaining lime juice. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
3. Mix together yogurt, ginger, and remaining cilantro and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with black pepper.
4. Heat a grill to medium high. Grill shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Arrange shrimp and couscous on a platter and serve with the yogurt sauce. Garnish with lime wedges if desired.
Just remember, have fun in the kitchen and make every meal count.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. What To Consider For A Wine Room Construction
Author: Jon Harper
2. 10 Simple Tips And Tricks On Baking With Silicone Moulds
Author: Bhavik Vasa
3. Brown Rice And Brownie Points For Health
4. Dubai Cuisine- Stuffed Camel To Fish’n’ Chips.get It All Here.
Author: Dyllan Samer
5. Reasons For American Restaurants’ Reputation As Pleasure Dinning
Author: Mathew Gomes
6. The Reasons That Make Vietnamese Cuisine Special
Author: Spencer Wiedermann
7. Surprise Her With Cooking Class Gift Vouchers For Her Birthday
Author: Chef Ha Nguyen
8. Top Services Used In Successful Food Marketing
Author: anil kumar
9. Ready To Tingle Your Taste Buds In Thai & Chinese Restaurants In Dubai
10. Comparing The Restaurant Aldelo Pos System With Cash Registers
Author: Glen Oliver
11. Simplified Factsheet About Drinking Alkaline Water
Author: Hampry Gomes
12. Order Food Online Delivery In Gold Coasta To Satisfy Your Craving For Exotic And Authentic Indian Cu
13. Why Taco Catering Is As Perfect For Independence Day As Hot Dogs And Apple Pie
Author: Justin Prietto
14. National Taco Day: When Is It, And How To Celebrate It
Author: Justin Prietto
15. Kosher Taco Catering - A Growing Demand For The Best Of Holidays And Celebrations
Author: Justin Prietto