ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
How Easy Healthy Recipes For Dinner Revived My Love For Cooking
Total Articles: 18
As I grew older I learned how to experiment with dishes that I loved. We had this Sunday barbecue tradition in the family wherein I would showcase the best marinade for chicken that I mixed or my
easy pork marinade variant for the week. I learned how to prepare fresh garden salads using my mom's secret raspberry vinaigrette dressing recipe. In support of my culinary inclination, my parents gifted me with an herb garden that I diligently cultivated throughout high school. It provided me a ready stash of fresh basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano whenever I needed it for the dishes I cooked.
But things changed when I went to college. I lived on-campus and became too busy with academic responsibilities that I started neglecting my love for cooking. There simply wasn't anytime to experiment in the kitchen if you have a gazillion of term papers to write. I lived off fast food and would sometimes skip meals if I was pressed for time. I wasn't eating right. I became unhealthy and had to be hospitalized several times because of it.
When I landed my first job, I resolved to start eating healthy again. Aside from daily exercise, I began preparing my own food using recipes I've researched on the internet. Food magazine subscriptions also came in handy. What I gathered were easy to prepare, low-fat, low-calorie dishes that are perfect for people with a busy lifestyle. It felt good to be cooking again. I've always felt really comfortable working in the kitchen that I once thought of taking some culinary courses if I had some time. Anyways, allow me to share one recipe I've found online that is now a weekly staple on my menu for the week.
Grilled Curried Shrimp with Mango Couscous
(Recipe developed by Anna Berman from Fitness Magazine) - http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/dinner-in-20-easy-healthy-dinner-recipes/?page=7
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon finely diced jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
3/4 pound shrimp, cleaned and shelled, tails on
1 7-ounce container 2 percent Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Lime wedges (optional)
1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Combine with mango, jalapeno pepper, 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, and half the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together red curry paste, vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon of the garlic, and remaining lime juice. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
3. Mix together yogurt, ginger, and remaining cilantro and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with black pepper.
4. Heat a grill to medium high. Grill shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Arrange shrimp and couscous on a platter and serve with the yogurt sauce. Garnish with lime wedges if desired.
Just remember, have fun in the kitchen and make every meal count.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. What Kind Of Vegetables Do You Want Slice Instead Of Junk Foods?
Author: Emory Carucci
2. Exploring Special American Steak Dishes Is No Big Deal In London
Author: Mathew Gomes
3. Oklahoma City Roofing- Choose The Right Material For Your Roof
Author: Fred Lydick
4. Professional Toronto Food Delivery – Ordering Quick And Easy
Author: Oliver Shin
5. Pre Or Post Workout Meals Toronto – Getting Healthy Food Is No More Difficult
Author: Oliver Shin
6. Explore Santa Rosa Restaurants In Different Way
Author: Todd Hedrick
7. Benefits Of Dark Chocolate | Bakers Fun
Author: Bakers Fun
8. Find Out The Reputable Online Water Suppliers To Obtain Purified Water
9. Food Delivery Toronto Service Can Be Your Savior Sometimes
Author: Oliver Shin
10. Ready Made Meals, Home Delivered By Dineamic
11. There Is Still Time To Get In The Halloween Spirit!
Author: Chris Ingallina
12. 5 Top Drinks To Try This Winter If You Are In Uk
Author: Lily Alvin
13. Food Truck Catering – Finger Food Perth Can Make Your Guests Satisfied In A Unique Way
Author: Michael Wickham
14. Craft Brews Get The Most Attention
Author: Tod Henry
15. The Importance Of Hiring A Qualified Los Angeles Event Planner
Author: Daniel Chapman