ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Ooty Tours For Backpackers
Total Articles: 400
For backpackers travelling to South of India, tours to Ooty are an exciting option. This gorgeous southern hill-station located in the Nilgiris. The Nilgiris or literally ‘blue mountains’ get their name from the distinct ethereal blue haze that covers the landscape. Ooty was developed into a hill-station by the British during the early 19th century. While the North of India is abundant with mountainous holiday retreats, the South has always had fewer options. High ranking British government officials posted in the South of India would escape to Ooty when the summer heat became unbearable in the lowlands and coastal cities.
The Lords and Ladies said it reminded them of England! This summer retreat hosted the rich and famous, who stayed in palatial holiday homes, played polo and cards, smoked cigars, drank fine wine and indulged in the finer pleasures of life. Ooty was infamously nicknamed ‘Snooty Ooty’! While known for its high-end boutique hotels and lavish bed and breakfast inns, Ooty tours are also a great option for backpackers and young adults travelling on a budget.
There are several cheap hostels, simple guest houses and home stay options for those one a shoe-string budget. You can ditch the chauffeur driven luxury cars and opt to walk or use local transport. The best way to spend time in Ooty is to visit the several well maintained botanical gardens and orchards. Ooty is located in an area which is blessed with fertile soil. Plums and oranges grow in abundance. The area is also home to expansive coffee and tea plantations. You can take several day-long excursions or trekking routes through the neighbouring forests of eucalyptus, pine and wattle. Entry to most of these are free. The only cost you may need to bear is that of a tour guide, which is an avoidable expense.
You can spend some quiet time by the beautiful Ooty Lake. This artificial lake was built in the early 1800s by Mr.Sullivan, who was at the time the Collector of Coimbatore. This lake has become one of Ooty’s most loved features and is impeccably maintained. If you are in the mood for a little strenuous trekking, then head to Doddabetta. This is the tallest peak in the area, from where you can enjoy a bird’s eye view of the surrounding valleys. Regardless of your budget all Ooty tours must include a visit to Udhagamandalam or ‘Queen of the Hills’.
Remember in India tours can be customized to fit your needs. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to see a beautiful part of the world just because you have a modest budget!
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. In his spare time, Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves to go on tours across India. His albums are replete with magnificent pictures of hill stations and his recent tour to Ooty.
Travel Articles1. Numerous Benefits Of Hiring Dfw Airport Taxi Or Shuttle Service In Texas!
Author: Shaik Hossain
2. Guided Tours To The Magical Hobbiton From Tauranga
Author: Roger Simister
3. How To Enjoy Great Facilities With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Daisy Wilkinson
4. Stylish Rides And Low Prices With Limousine Washington Dc
Author: Stylish rides and low prices with Limousine Washin
5. Plan Your Vacation To Luton Airport- Hire Great Britain Cars
Author: jack pero
6. Rajasthan’s Top Tourist Attractions To Visit In Summer Season
Author: Swati Jain
7. Travel The Unforgettable Experience Of Africa’s Amazing Botswana And Serengeti Balloon Safaris
Author: Ombeni African Safari
8. Top Places That Compel A Solo Explorer To Travel In India
Author: Aura Voyages
9. Latin America Tourism Is Booming And Tour Operator Offers The Best Advice To Get The Most Of It!
Author: Anna Avanesova
10. Book Your Hoi An Hotel From Us
Author: Ms. Emma Tran
11. Enjoy A Variety Of Benefits With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
12. 4 Things That You Can Only Buy In Turkey
13. Get Married In San Antonio With A Wedding Party Bus San Antonio
Author: Cheap Limo Service DC
14. 3 Quirkiest Bars In Melbourne That Are Straight Out Of Your Dreams
15. Wedding Guest Transportation In Phoenix Charter Bus Rental
Author: Hire Charter Bus