ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Ooty Tours For Backpackers
Total Articles: 400
For backpackers travelling to South of India, tours to Ooty are an exciting option. This gorgeous southern hill-station located in the Nilgiris. The Nilgiris or literally ‘blue mountains’ get their name from the distinct ethereal blue haze that covers the landscape. Ooty was developed into a hill-station by the British during the early 19th century. While the North of India is abundant with mountainous holiday retreats, the South has always had fewer options. High ranking British government officials posted in the South of India would escape to Ooty when the summer heat became unbearable in the lowlands and coastal cities.
The Lords and Ladies said it reminded them of England! This summer retreat hosted the rich and famous, who stayed in palatial holiday homes, played polo and cards, smoked cigars, drank fine wine and indulged in the finer pleasures of life. Ooty was infamously nicknamed ‘Snooty Ooty’! While known for its high-end boutique hotels and lavish bed and breakfast inns, Ooty tours are also a great option for backpackers and young adults travelling on a budget.
There are several cheap hostels, simple guest houses and home stay options for those one a shoe-string budget. You can ditch the chauffeur driven luxury cars and opt to walk or use local transport. The best way to spend time in Ooty is to visit the several well maintained botanical gardens and orchards. Ooty is located in an area which is blessed with fertile soil. Plums and oranges grow in abundance. The area is also home to expansive coffee and tea plantations. You can take several day-long excursions or trekking routes through the neighbouring forests of eucalyptus, pine and wattle. Entry to most of these are free. The only cost you may need to bear is that of a tour guide, which is an avoidable expense.
You can spend some quiet time by the beautiful Ooty Lake. This artificial lake was built in the early 1800s by Mr.Sullivan, who was at the time the Collector of Coimbatore. This lake has become one of Ooty’s most loved features and is impeccably maintained. If you are in the mood for a little strenuous trekking, then head to Doddabetta. This is the tallest peak in the area, from where you can enjoy a bird’s eye view of the surrounding valleys. Regardless of your budget all Ooty tours must include a visit to Udhagamandalam or ‘Queen of the Hills’.
Remember in India tours can be customized to fit your needs. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to see a beautiful part of the world just because you have a modest budget!
Ninad Chaudhari works as a Web UI Designer / Developer with Cox & Kings. In his spare time, Ninad is an ardent photographer and loves to go on tours across India. His albums are replete with magnificent pictures of hill stations and his recent tour to Ooty.
Travel Articles1. Fishpond Taxi Or Clifton Taxi – Delivering Maximum Convenience For The Clients!
Author: Michel Umer
2. Restaurant La Source – La Source Restaurant In Paris Is All Set To Cater You In The Most Unique Way!
Author: Ano Nymous
3. Shuttle Service From Honolulu Airport To Hotels & 4 Best Accommodations For Travelers
Author: Trung Tran
4. What Does The Inclusion Of A Kitchen In A Hotel Room Mean To The Hotel Industry?
Author: The Lotus
5. Uganda – A Country Of Sheer Wildlife
6. Gorilla Tracking Etiquettes In Uganda
7. Looking For Cheap Flights To London? Find Low Cost Flights Here!
8. Looking Forward To Relax? Will Transport You To A Tranquil World
Author: Mr. Dave
9. Car Service In Dfw & List Of The Top Rated Restaurants In The Dfw Area
Author: Shakil Ahmed
10. What Places One Need To Visit During His Sahara Desert Tour?
Author: Mohamed El Galouti
11. Prom Parties With A Charter Bus In San Francisco
Author: Hire Charter Bus
12. Hemingway’s Cuba
Author: Stephen David
13. Canada Immigradation Consultants In Hyderabad
Author: visas permits
14. Enjoy Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing And Safari To Africa And Tanzania Wildebeest
15. How To Find Best Serviced Apartment Accommodation In Nairobi
Author: Sanajay SHah