ALL >> Education >> View Article
The Difference Between Vanity Publishing And Self-publishing
Total Articles: 41
I just HAD to write this article as it concerns a publishing ruse all writers should be aware of.
I certainly wasn't aware of this before now... so I'm sure it will catch some of you by surprise too. I have to say that I nearly fell off my chair when I heard about it.
A first-time novelist has just sent their book to what they thought was a publishing house. The publisher told them their book wasn't of a high enough standard for their list. However, it was suitable for self-publishing with their sister company... At a cost of... drum roll... ?10K for just over 100 books.
?10K folks! Are they mad? Do they really think writers will fall for this ruse. Obviously not all that mad, because the writer who told me about this was considering paying this sum.
Please, please, please do your research before considering anything so drastic. Most publishing houses are charging in the region of ?2.5K per 1000 books. That's around ?2.50 per book. If you want a smaller print run, then you'll be paying even less.
It's easy to feel disheartened and crushed when you've had one too many rejections. Yes, you can feel like you're never going to reach your goal. But there really is no need to go reaching for your credit card when you're offered a 'solution' that costs ?10K. This just reeks to me of manipulation.
If you're having no luck getting your book published, then learn about marketing, get a mentor, rewrite your book, have someone check over your pitch. Look at independent publishing houses or take a SERIOUS look at self-publishing.
Self-publishing is NOT - most definitely not a 'second best' these days. For someone of an entrepreneurial mindset, it can actually be a better option than a mainstream publisher.
But NOT when you are paying ?10K for a handful of books. That is vanity publishing not self-publishing. You and your book deserve far better than this.
Many of my clients have earned over six figures - and even seven figures - from savvy self-publishing. Notice that I say SAVVY self-publishing. This doesn't mean randomly self-publishing a book or e-book using the 'hope and pray' method.
It means having a proper STRATEGY before you launch your book into the marketplace. It means having a proper marketing plan and PR plan, that you then stick to.
There are no shortcuts with this - even when you are published by a mainstream publishing house, you will still be expected to help to promote your book.
Having spent time and effort writing your book, surely this is no less than it deserves?
One of the great joys of self-publishing is that the rewards are linked to the amount of effort that you put in.
Education Articles1. One Of The Best And Renowned Cbse School In Pcmc, Pune - Academic Heights Public School
Author: Academic Heights Public School
2. Best Selenium Training Institute In Marathahalli Bangalore
Author: Gyan Guide
3. Accelerate Your Stagnant Career With An Executive Mba
Author: Great Learning
4. Open Access Online Journal Helps Researchers To Provide Research Papers
Author: Dr. Pawan Verma
5. New Mobile App.- 1.9 Launched By Justdakhila For Those Parents Searching School For Their Children
6. Best Spoken English, Pte, Ielts, Toefl Classes In Kurukshetra Harayana
Author: British Institute
7. Improve Career Path With Sap Certification | Sap Simple Finance Training
Author: venkat reddy
8. What Is Digital Marketing? What Are The Modules In Digital Marketing Courses?
9. Take Admissions In One Of The Best Engineering College
Author: ponting brown
10. Ccna Training: A Way For Bright Future
11. Doing The Sunday School Activities Perfectly And Own The Peace
Author: Parveen Kumar
12. Sap C_terp10_67 – Business Process Integration Certification
Author: Jose White
13. Usage Of Selenium In Automated Testing
Author: Siyaram Ray
14. Sap Certified Technology Associate – C_hanatech_11 Edition 2016
Author: Jose White
15. Pmp Is A Rage Among Employers As Well. Enrol For Pmp Training In Hyderabad Right Away