ALL >> Education >> View Article
On Writing - How To Keep Your Readers Rolling In The Aisles Every Day
Total Articles: 37
Who's kidding whom? It's hard enough for most writers to simply brush their teeth on a regular basis let alone keep their readers rolling in the aisles everyday.
No writer is funny enough to accomplish that level of humor with every written piece. Even attempting the task would make your fingers bleed every time.
It might be a worthy idea to simply learn the art of injecting a little humor into your writing on a regular basis. Humor is enjoyable to write and enjoyable to read.
Most writers simply groan at the mere thought of adding humor. Either they truly believe they were born without a "funnybone" or believe their style/subject matter to be "just too serious" for the likes of humor.
Is all the humor-rejection simply a symptom of the fear of rejection? "What if nobody laughs"?
Maybe we all should just "give it a go" and see what happens. How much is there to lose?
What follows are some tried and true ideas to consider when trying to add a bit of levity into your writing.
Be an artist. Paint a picture. It can bring a funny story to life right before your eyes.
Step outside the box and attempt to enter the brain of your reader. Paint a picture with your language.
Don't limit yourself to simply "telling" the reader, but "show" them something instead.
Haul out your old Thesaurus. Search for alternative words that evoke the senses. Use tastes, sights, and smells to your advantage. Ideas to which readers can relate with their senses often trigger sunken memories and bring them bubbling to the surface.
Compare these two sentences.
1. Those two men accomplished a great deal of work.
2. Those two human dynamos got more done than a team of 1000 Egyptian pyramid builders working overtime.
Get the idea?
Reality is Often Funnier than Fiction
Keep an eye open for things that strike you as funny in the daily news or on the internet. Your subconscious mind will often relate those funny tidbits to your material at hand. When you get used to doing it, you can be seeing humor in everything.
Once the humor pipeline is turned on, inject it into your writing. Here's 3 easy ways to do just that:
1. Go easy at first
Begin by trying to find just a single funny sentence, a single funny tagline or a single humorous analogy into your article or story. Ideas as short and simple as that can often liven up a story by bringing new life to a dull work.
2. Use "The Bookend Technique"
Start your story with a humorous analogy such as "writing a poem is like dropping a flower petal into the Grand Canyon and then waiting for the echo".
Use the body of the article to write the story by thoroughly examining all the issues.
Then finish by bookending the piece with the original analogy again, along with your conclusion.
3. Keep it Simple
Writing humor can be hard to do. And when it comes to funny material, "shorter" usually works far better than "longer". Human nature as it is, writers will find ways to avoid things that are hard to accomplish. Keeping it simple is a learned skill.
Become "Ming the Merciless" of Flash Gordon fame when it comes to simplicity. Mercilessly omit those needless words. Have a trusted friend edit you work. Even if you don't think it's too long, if your friend thinks it's too long, trust your friend.
Practicing the art of simplicity will become easier over time. The ease-of-effort will bring enjoyment along with it and soon you'll be pumping-out humor like a "you fill in the funny "word-painting" here."
Education Articles1. One Of The Best And Renowned Cbse School In Pcmc, Pune - Academic Heights Public School
Author: Academic Heights Public School
2. Best Selenium Training Institute In Marathahalli Bangalore
Author: Gyan Guide
3. Accelerate Your Stagnant Career With An Executive Mba
Author: Great Learning
4. Open Access Online Journal Helps Researchers To Provide Research Papers
Author: Dr. Pawan Verma
5. New Mobile App.- 1.9 Launched By Justdakhila For Those Parents Searching School For Their Children
6. Best Spoken English, Pte, Ielts, Toefl Classes In Kurukshetra Harayana
Author: British Institute
7. Improve Career Path With Sap Certification | Sap Simple Finance Training
Author: venkat reddy
8. What Is Digital Marketing? What Are The Modules In Digital Marketing Courses?
9. Take Admissions In One Of The Best Engineering College
Author: ponting brown
10. Ccna Training: A Way For Bright Future
11. Doing The Sunday School Activities Perfectly And Own The Peace
Author: Parveen Kumar
12. Sap C_terp10_67 – Business Process Integration Certification
Author: Jose White
13. Usage Of Selenium In Automated Testing
Author: Siyaram Ray
14. Sap Certified Technology Associate – C_hanatech_11 Edition 2016
Author: Jose White
15. Pmp Is A Rage Among Employers As Well. Enrol For Pmp Training In Hyderabad Right Away