ALL >> Travel >> View Article
About Rajwada Historical Palace - Best Tourist Place In Indore City, India
Total Articles: 68
Rajwada is one of the most important historical palace in Indore city. The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. It was built by the Holkars of the Maratha Empire about two centuries ago.
About Rajwada, Indore
City's iconic and most prominent structure, the one that represents Indore even in today's world, is not just another historic monument ! It has a great saga behind it and is like a legacy of the Holkar dynasty that has been passed on through the ages !
The original Rajwada, built in 1747 by the founder of the Holkar dynasty - Subedar Malhar Rao Holkar I (reign 1732 - 1766) - was completely destroyed in an attack in 1801 ! After the treaty of Mandsaur in 1818, the present day Rajwada, a majestic and imposing structure, with a magnificent seven-storied gateway in front, was constructed by Malhar Rao Holkar II (reign 1811 - 1833) at a cost of Rs. 4 lacs ! This palace was used by Holkars for residential purposes, holding durbars, and for state ceremonies !
After independence, the Rajwada palace was bought over by city's businessman Shri Dev Kumar Singh Kasliwal in 1974, at a price of Rs. 16 lacs ! After huge protests & uproar, it was taken over by Madhya Pradesh government and declared as a monument ! The department of archaeology had then opened it to the public, for the first time, in 1976 ! However, in the national riots of 1984, Rajwada had once again succumbed to destruction, when most of the palace was destroyed in fire !
The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. The lower stories are made up of stone and are painted in a dark colour, while the upper floor is made of wood. The vast courtyard that is situated near the entrance is a centre for art exhibitions as well as classical music concerts. Upon entering the palace, one can see bright, sun-lit quadrangles that are surrounded by beautiful galleries and delicate arches !
A part of the palace is still maintained by the Holkar family's trust, which has recently opened an exhibition centre on the Holkars and also, in a temple there, evening prayers are conducted everyday in the Holkar tradition !
Rajwada is a must visit spot in Indore city.
Travel Articles1. Explore 5 Beautiful Lakes In Ooty Apart From Ooty Lake
2. The Best Offering Package For The Holy Tour Of Chardham Yatra This Coming September
Author: Char Dham Yatra
3. Different Rides For Prom In Chicago From A Charter Coach Bus Rental Company
4. Let Loose In Los Angeles With Bus Tours
Author: Hire Charter Bus
5. Natural Meets History Of The Kruger National Park
6. Five Free Things To Do In Key West
Author: Dale Dunlop
7. Destination Key West: Popular Attractions
Author: Dale Dunlop
8. Cycling Tours In The French Alps
Author: David Luther
9. Top Trekking & Hiking Trails In Nepal
Author: Mountain Hawk Trekking
10. Mardi Himal Trek - Best Alternative To Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Author: Himalaya Trekking Team
11. Three Exquisite Yet Cultural Cities Of Peshawar That You May Never Want To Leave
Author: Flights Masters
12. Rent The Driver’s Place; Enjoy With Family And Kids On Your Trips
Author: Robert Anhouse
13. Dmz Taxi Tour – Driver Guide Tour Can Make The Dmz Tour A More Planned One!
Author: Brian Lee
14. The Car Rental Dubai Agency Is Your One Stop Shop To Hire The Best Car Of Your Choice
15. Areas Of Cuba
Author: Stephen David