ALL >> Travel >> View Article
About Rajwada Historical Palace - Best Tourist Place In Indore City, India
Total Articles: 68
Rajwada is one of the most important historical palace in Indore city. The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. It was built by the Holkars of the Maratha Empire about two centuries ago.
About Rajwada, Indore
City's iconic and most prominent structure, the one that represents Indore even in today's world, is not just another historic monument ! It has a great saga behind it and is like a legacy of the Holkar dynasty that has been passed on through the ages !
The original Rajwada, built in 1747 by the founder of the Holkar dynasty - Subedar Malhar Rao Holkar I (reign 1732 - 1766) - was completely destroyed in an attack in 1801 ! After the treaty of Mandsaur in 1818, the present day Rajwada, a majestic and imposing structure, with a magnificent seven-storied gateway in front, was constructed by Malhar Rao Holkar II (reign 1811 - 1833) at a cost of Rs. 4 lacs ! This palace was used by Holkars for residential purposes, holding durbars, and for state ceremonies !
After independence, the Rajwada palace was bought over by city's businessman Shri Dev Kumar Singh Kasliwal in 1974, at a price of Rs. 16 lacs ! After huge protests & uproar, it was taken over by Madhya Pradesh government and declared as a monument ! The department of archaeology had then opened it to the public, for the first time, in 1976 ! However, in the national riots of 1984, Rajwada had once again succumbed to destruction, when most of the palace was destroyed in fire !
The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. The lower stories are made up of stone and are painted in a dark colour, while the upper floor is made of wood. The vast courtyard that is situated near the entrance is a centre for art exhibitions as well as classical music concerts. Upon entering the palace, one can see bright, sun-lit quadrangles that are surrounded by beautiful galleries and delicate arches !
A part of the palace is still maintained by the Holkar family's trust, which has recently opened an exhibition centre on the Holkars and also, in a temple there, evening prayers are conducted everyday in the Holkar tradition !
Rajwada is a must visit spot in Indore city.
Travel Articles1. Indian Visa On Arrival
2. Here Are The Top Perfect Destinations For Corporate Outings In Hyderabad:
Author: Aakruthi priya
3. Respect The Events Of The Holiday Season With A Limo Rental Of Atlanta
Author: john wick
4. A Schengen Tourist Visa Allows You To Move Across Many European Countries With A Single Visa
5. Top Destinations To Spend Your Christmas And New Year
6. Breathe In A World Class Resort
Author: Amish Chovan
7. 5 Advantages Of Flying Business Class
Author: Stephen Adair
8. Why Do You Choose Bachelorette Party Bus Rental In Austin?
Author: Robert Lopez
9. Plan Your Best Summer Trip With Collegiate Travels
10. Holiday Appropriate Transportation Made Possible Via Dc Charter Bus Company
Author: David WILSON
11. Collegiate Travels Makes Fraternity Trips Stress Free
12. The Ultimate Elopement With Executive Car Service Dc
Author: Mark Jonsh
13. Freedom To Explore South Africa Without Restrictions
14. Rent A Car For The Freedom You Need To Explore Africa At Your Own Pace!
15. Car Rentals To Make Your Airport Journey Affordable And Comfortable In Maui!
Author: Vikram Kumar