ALL >> Travel >> View Article
About Rajwada Historical Palace - Best Tourist Place In Indore City, India
Total Articles: 68
Rajwada is one of the most important historical palace in Indore city. The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. It was built by the Holkars of the Maratha Empire about two centuries ago.
About Rajwada, Indore
City's iconic and most prominent structure, the one that represents Indore even in today's world, is not just another historic monument ! It has a great saga behind it and is like a legacy of the Holkar dynasty that has been passed on through the ages !
The original Rajwada, built in 1747 by the founder of the Holkar dynasty - Subedar Malhar Rao Holkar I (reign 1732 - 1766) - was completely destroyed in an attack in 1801 ! After the treaty of Mandsaur in 1818, the present day Rajwada, a majestic and imposing structure, with a magnificent seven-storied gateway in front, was constructed by Malhar Rao Holkar II (reign 1811 - 1833) at a cost of Rs. 4 lacs ! This palace was used by Holkars for residential purposes, holding durbars, and for state ceremonies !
After independence, the Rajwada palace was bought over by city's businessman Shri Dev Kumar Singh Kasliwal in 1974, at a price of Rs. 16 lacs ! After huge protests & uproar, it was taken over by Madhya Pradesh government and declared as a monument ! The department of archaeology had then opened it to the public, for the first time, in 1976 ! However, in the national riots of 1984, Rajwada had once again succumbed to destruction, when most of the palace was destroyed in fire !
The palace is built in an excellent combination of Maratha, Mughal and French styles of architecture with different portions constructed in various styles. The lower stories are made up of stone and are painted in a dark colour, while the upper floor is made of wood. The vast courtyard that is situated near the entrance is a centre for art exhibitions as well as classical music concerts. Upon entering the palace, one can see bright, sun-lit quadrangles that are surrounded by beautiful galleries and delicate arches !
A part of the palace is still maintained by the Holkar family's trust, which has recently opened an exhibition centre on the Holkars and also, in a temple there, evening prayers are conducted everyday in the Holkar tradition !
Rajwada is a must visit spot in Indore city.
Travel Articles1. Finding Spot For Organizing School Picnic Has Become Easy
2. Irving Taxi Service Gives The Best Transport Service For Your Weekend Trip
Author: Irving Instant Cab
3. Choose Vacation Home Rentals Jasper Ar For Limitless Excitement
Author: Kirby Burk
4. Petra Tours - A Useful Guide For First-timers
5. Assisted Tour Package Prove As The Best To Explore The Face Of Rajasthan
Author: Colourful Indian Holidays
6. Charisma Of Affordable Christchurch Holiday Package
Author: Damien McConnell
7. Benefits To Hire Personal Driver Nyc Services
Author: Robert Anhouse
8. Show Proper Significance With A Limousine Rental In Atlanta
Author: John Anderson
9. For Covering Long Distances Choose The Premium Cab Service Provider
Author: John Watson
10. Impress The In-laws With Cheap Car Service Houston
Author: MARK Jones
11. 4 Popular And Best Foods To Eat When In South Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
12. 4 Best Beaches In Africa
Author: Damilola Ojo
13. How To Plan Vacation Tours In Croatia
Author: Alfred Hunter
14. Stylish And Purposeful Wedding Arrangements For Limousine Service In Minneapolis
Author: john wick
15. If Planning A Home Relocation, Leave Entire Household To Moving Services Richmond Va
Author: Stewart Moving & Storage