ALL >> Education >> View Article
Ah, To Capitalize, Underline, Or Italicize That Title That Is The Question!
Total Articles: 38
Laying word upon word, you mortar in and around and between them with commas and colons and periods. You place word upon word, sentence upon sentence, paragraph upon paragraph.
Eh, voila! Your building sings!
Now, perhaps not so enthusiastically, you are an editor. You stand back and study the integrity of your creation. Will it stand on its own? Will the light shine through the windows? Will it withstand the ages?
You go through it and over it and underneath it, inch by inch by inch.
Ah, what's that? Up there, the title in the archway? Aren't titles supposed to be underlined? Or is that capitalized? Or perhaps italicized?
Oh no! You can't remember! Now surely your creation will crumble!
Still, perfection is in the details.
According to the MLA Handbook (published by the Modern Language Association), there is a trick to punctuating titles: the "big" and "little" trick.
• "Big" things (things that can stand on their own, like novels and books) are italicized.
• "Little" things (things that are dependent upon a "big" thing, or that come as part of a group, like chapters) are placed inside quotation marks.
You would italicize:
• the title of a novel
• the title of a play or a screenplay
• the title of a CD or an album
• the title of a published collection (like a book of poetry)
• the title of a magazine or a newspaper
• the title of an individual work of art (a painting, a sculpture, a statue)
• the title of a television or cartoon series
You would use quotation marks for:
• the title of a chapter
• the title of a song
• the title of a poem within a collection
• the title of an article in a magazine or a newspaper
• the title of an episode of a television series
There are exceptions, as always, to properly presenting titles. For example, some titles are capitalized (without any additional punctuation). This includes the names of buildings and monuments, as well as the names of religious works (such as The Bible and The Koran).
Of course, if you are averse to making these types of adverse mistakes, a style guide is highly recommended, including:
• The Chicago Manual of Style
• MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
• Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
• Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers
Education Articles1. Want To Improve Your Brand Visibility Buy Private School Data Lists From School Data Lists
2. Best Selenium Training, Online Institute In Hyderabad Bangalore
3. Digital Marketing Training Institute In Ameerpet
4. What Does Your Texas Or Pennsylvania Online Real Estate Course Need To Have?
Author: Edmund Brunetti
5. Why Are People Taking Their New York Or California Real Estate License Course Online?
Author: Edmund Brunetti
6. Rpa – What Do You Need To Know
7. 5 Countries Where You Can Earn A Living While Studying
Author: Pranati Roy
8. Which Are The Best Bba Colleges In India?
Author: ies online12
9. What Are The Top Engineering Colleges In Bangalore?
10. How Is Jain University, Bangalore? How Are The Faculty, Placements, The Campus And The Overall Facto
11. How To Prepare For Neet
Author: Kriti Chopra
12. How To Be A Better Learner
Author: Aadarsh Agarwal
13. How To Master The Art Of Assignment Writing In 5 Easy Steps
Author: Tiana Crush
14. Optimize Your Hospital’s - Digital Marketing Strategy 2018
Author: Ajay Kumar
15. Learn Cpr At Your Convenience With An Online Cpr Class
Author: Christopher Bayer