ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
Signs And Symptoms Of Spark Plug Failure
Total Articles: 533
The spark plugs are the most important part of a car to start up the engine. They conduct high tension electricity and ignite air/fuel (A/F) mixture to start the vehicle. Good spark plugs enable smooth vehicle movement, increase fuel efficiency, and reduce discharge of polluting gases.
If these plugs are unclean or damaged, it affects the performance of your car badly. This article discusses briefly the symptoms that you find in your car because of bad spark plugs, and different signs on these plugs to identify the bad ones.
Difficulty in starting: Starting problem is the most common symptom.
Engine misfire: Engine misfire makes your vehicle stammer, and emit more polluting gases. This is due to bad functioning or failure of spark plugs in at least one cylinder of the engine. The cylinder fails whenever the air/fuel mixture in its combustion chamber is not ignited.
Rough engine idle: Rough engine idle means heavy vibration occurring all through the vehicle while running. This is again due to bad spark plugs, and could lead to severe damage to the engine if ignored.
Poor acceleration: Poor acceleration is also one of the most common symptoms that can be observed. Acceleration of the vehicle goes down, and it will not pick up speed if the spark plugs of the vehicle are damaged.
Vehicle jerks: When the spark plugs malfunction, more air is sucked by the engine affecting A/F ratio, and this causes jerks while the vehicle is running. The engine starts and stops all of a sudden.
Less mileage: Bad spark plugs affect the fuel efficiency of the engine. As they become worse, the mileage of the vehicle reduces drastically.
Poor engine performance: These symptoms such as less fuel efficiency, vibrations, jerks, etc. indicate bad performance of the engine due to bad spark plugs.
Oily deposits: Deposit of oil occurs when the valves of a cylinder or piston rings are worn or split, and excess oil enters the chamber. This is indicated by grease or oil on it.
Carbon deposit on the plug: The carbon deposit is because of weak ignition voltage system or the carburetor of the vehicle taking in more air. This can be identified by soft black or gray deposits.
Ash deposits on its insulator: This occurs due to accumulation of combustion deposits on the plug. Ash is non-conducting, covers the nose of the spark plugs, and then blocks them from producing spark. Ash deposits can be clearly seen on the plug.
Chipped insulator: This may be because of pre-ignition shock causing physical damage to the plugs or because of mechanical damage by foreign elements when its transition between the electrodes happens. The damage is clearly visible when observed.
Therefore, it is sensible to check the condition of the spark plugs of your car when you see any of these signs and symptoms. Regular cleaning and replacing them whenever required gives your vehicle a long life and better engine performance.
Airtexproducts.com is the leading aftermarket supplier of mechanical and electric fuel pumps. For over 50 years, the Airtex brand has been the benchmark of fuel delivery components for leading companies in the automotive aftermarket. If you are searching for a fuel pump, consider Airtex as Airtex fuel pump has exceptional quality that meets or exceeds OE design specifications and ISO standards.
Automobiles Articles1. Give Your Vehicle The Extra Mileage It Seeks
Author: James Elston
2. Lessons That Will Teach You All You Need To Know About Certified Driving School In Chadstone
Author: Mark Watson
3. Reasons Auto Carwash In Kingston Is Sweeter Than Christmas Morning
Author: Rhys Gibson
4. Sell The Old Car & Purchase A Brand New One On Vehicle Part Exchange
Author: Ewan Thorpe
5. The Simplest Ways To Make The Best Of Harley Davidson Fabric Brisbane
Author: Levi Fysh
6. Get A Valid And Authenticated International Driving License Oman
Author: Mr. Vince Joe
7. Stevens 112 Ford Has Received The Prestigious President's Award Courtesy Of Ford Motor Company!
8. Car Dealer Selling New Cars At Reasonable Price
9. Best Online Shop For Genuine Auto Spare Parts In Dubai, Uae
10. Most Common Vehicle Registration And Titling Issues
Author: ABA Auto Registration
11. Creating A Magnificent Experience Of Luxury Riding-db Luxury Cars
12. How To Choose Best Auto Repair Gainesville?
Author: Berrisford Smith
13. Here’s The Rundown Of The Supportive Points To Keep Your Car In Good Working Condition
Author: My Tyre Point
14. Driving Experience With Rentarace
15. Useful Traveling Tips For Those Who Wish To Visit Auto Carwash In Sutton Area
Author: Rhys Gibson