ALL >> Education >> View Article
Writing A Screenplay - Don't Forget The Baby Boomers
Total Articles: 37
They say that if you want to write for television in Hollywood, or you want to make it big in the movie industry as a screenwriter then you have to be under the age of 30. In fact, if you are too old they won't hire you because I don't believe you are hip enough to stay up with the younger crowd which is most likely to partake in that sort of entertainment. That's unfortunate really, and I don't believe it's true, but that's how Hollywood rolls. On one hand they want to be all-inclusive, politically correct, and anti-discriminatory, and yet the age discrimination a Hollywood is well known by anyone who is in the industry.
Still, I find this to be a mistake at the box office because the baby boomers have a good deal of money still, much more money than many of the younger generations who currently don't have jobs, and are in debt up to their eyeballs with student loans. Writing screenplays and dialogue for the younger generation without consideration of the baby boomers is a big mistake. Indeed I like to talk about this for a few moments by might.
You see, there was an interesting article in the Biz Journal in Los Angeles on March 25, 2013 titled "Older viewers heading to movie theaters," by Gina Hall which stated;
"The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) study found that in 2012 there were 5.8 million people ages 40 to 49 who saw a film once a month or more, up from 3.3 million in 2011. The study discovered that even moviegoers aged up a decade, from age 50 to 59, increased over the same period, to 3.3 million from 3.1 million. Moviegoers from 60-and-up age group rose to 4.6 from 4.1 million."
Indeed, I guess this justifies my point. Further, if you are a young up-and-coming screenplay writer you might want to take notice. Not all of the baby boomers are interested in your Facebook dialogues in your script nor do they find much of your laced-in comedy all that funny. Quite frankly it's not. Now you might get hired to write a screenplay or rewrite one, or hired by one of the major networks on a TV series if you're under 30 years old. But that doesn't mean that people will buy what you sell when they go to the movie theaters. So don't get too cocky in your young age, you have a lot to learn.
Lastly, if you are a young screenplay writer, I'd suggest you spend some time with some, what you might call, older folks and understand life from their perspective because they were young once too, but they grew up. You could learn a lot from them, and it will help you become more successful. Please consider all this and think on it.
Education Articles1. Can You Earn Your Pennsylvania Real Estate License Online?
Author: Edmund Brunetti
2. Artificial Intelligence: The Next Big Thing Is Already Here
3. Why Sap Mm Become The Backbone Of Business?
Author: Vaisakh Bharaz
4. Glimpse Of The Benefits Of Security Training Program
5. Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Lawyer?
Author: Sukanta Singha
6. Essential Factors That Can Help You To Choose A Good Tuition Centre
Author: Hayden Bowden
7. Systematic Planning And Assistance Provided By Study Abroad Consultants
Author: Tyler Conley
8. Best Digital Marketing Training Institute In Chandigarh Mohali Panchkula.
9. Ias Coaching In Lucknow To Help The Candidates Prepare For The Most Prized Job
10. Delhi Is Fun- Seeing Delhi With Your Toddler
Author: Nitn Saini
11. How To Prepare And Crack Clat - Law Entrance Exam 2018
12. How Good Is Snap As An Mba Entrance Examination?
Author: Mohan Patil
13. Top Reasons Why Children Refuse To Go To School
Author: Ogburn Online School
14. Junit Annotations In Selenium Web Driver
Author: Siyaram Ray
15. Best Spoken English, Pte, Ielts, Toefl Classes In Chandigarh Mohali India.