ALL >> Business >> View Article
Gigantic Gas Cloud On Collision Course With Milky Way
Total Articles: 1
"We might be witnessing the final stages of the formation process of our galaxy, " says W. Butler Burton, radio astronomer. A giant cloud of hydrogen gas, clocked at more than 150 miles per second per second, is closing in very fast on the Milky Way, likely setting off a huge burst of star formation. At its current speed, the cloud will collide with interstellar gas in the Milky Way's disk in less than 40 million years, condensing into tens of thousands of bright, massive stars that will explode as supernovas within a couple of million years.
"Its shape, somewhat similar to that of a comet, indicates that it's already hitting gas in our Galaxy's outskirts," said Felix J. Lockman, of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory . "It is also feeling a tidal force from the gravity of the Milky Way and may be in the process of being torn apart. Our Galaxy will get a rain of gas from this cloud, then in about 20 to 40 million years, the cloud's core will smash into the Milky Way's plane."
Many clouds of hydrogen surround the Milky Way. But astronomers didn't start spotting them until a half-century ago--after the advent of radio telescopes, which are able to detect cold, neutral hydrogen gas. The early observations were not accurate enough to determine the clouds' distances, masses, or directions of motion.
The hydrogen cloud, named Smith's Cloud after Dutch astronomy student Gail Smith, who discovered it in 1963. Curious about the cloud's elongated shape, a team of astronomers led Lockman o, took tens of thousands of radio brightness measurements. The data reveal that the cloud is just 8000 light-years away from the Milky Way's central plane, making it the closest one known. Its comet-like shape is apparently due to the tidal effects of the Milky Way.
Business Articles1. Information About The Materials That Used In Electric Bike
Author: Larry Bushart
2. Virtual Office In Switzerland – Breaking The Conventional Idea Of Office Space
Author: Mr Dimitri Rusca
3. An Idea About The Rising Damp Treatment
Author: George Dean
4. An End-to-end Retail Management Solution For Small/medium Retail Business
Author: Adam Smith
5. Virtual Office In Geneva – What Are The Advantages Of Having One
Author: Mr Dimitri Rusca
6. Get Excellent Cleaning Of Tiles With Tiling Work Dubai
7. About The Digital Marketing Solution Providers And Local Marketing Services At Cyber Flavors
Author: Unknown Member
8. Bike & Bicycle Shelters- Order For Installations
9. Servo Voltage Stabilizer - What It Is And Why Is It So Important?
Author: R. D. Electric Works
10. Living With Mould In Your Home
Author: Fred Lydick
11. Different Types Of Water Pumps And Their Uses
Author: Gbenga Kukler
12. Laser Cutting
Author: Emily Stone
13. Why Don’t More Agencies Have In-house Translators?
Author: Shreya Gupta
14. Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva
Author: Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva
15. L'entrepreneur Denis Vincent Et Son Histoire Génial De Succès
Author: Denis Vincent