ALL >> Business >> View Article
European Banks Perform Well While Data Indicates The Uk Economy Is Gaining Moment
Total Articles: 20
Aug. 02, 2013 - CHIYODA-KU, Japan -- The Stoxx Europe 600 index added nearly a percentage point, with banks as the best performing sector in the market. Lloyds Banking Group PLC gained 7.5% after its first profitable half year in three years. Shares of the bank are up 52% this year, surpassing the government´s break even point. The bank is also considering resuming paying dividends, for the first time in five years after the government bailout. Unfortunately financial regulators may require the bank to put side more capital to hedge against potential lending losses, which would postpone dividends. Lloyds posted 1.56 billion pounds in net income from the first two quarters this year versus a 697 million pound loss in the same period last year.
The third largest bank in France, Societe Generale SA´s net profits doubled to 955 million Euros in quarter two shattering forecasts of 608 million Euros.
Positive data from the official Chinese Purchasing Managers Index helped to drive mining and other resource firms. The index registered a surprising gain indicating expansion, which boosts resource firms because China is a major consumer of natural resources. Shares of Glencore Xstrata PLC and Anglo American PLC both rose more than 2% and the larger Rio Tinto PLC gained 1.7%. Not all resource firms preformed as well, Royal Dutch Shell PLC lost 5% after reporting a 60% drop in quarter two profits.
Markit/CIPS released its manufacturing Purchasing Managers Index for the UK, which rose to a two year high of 54.6 in July. Analysts as The Lexington Group believe that this along with other surveys indicate that momentum is growing in the UK economy and the Bank of England will reduce its stimulus policy in the second half of the year. The Bank of England announced Thursday, that they will not change the lending rate of 0.5% or their asset purchasing program. A meeting on forward guidance is scheduled for next week.
Business Articles1. Best International Courier Service In Maharashtra
Author: Unique air express
2. Best Practices For Dealing With Workplace Violence
Author: NetZealous LLC, DBA TrainHR
3. Government And Co-operative Societies In India Support Flood Victims
4. Different Types Of Materials Used For Constructing The Magnetic Core Of A Transformer
Author: Trutech Products
5. Metal Roofing- Right To Choose For Commercial Roofing Okc
Author: Fred Lydick
6. Keep Your Business Afresh In Peoples’ Mind During Off Seasons!
Author: Surabhi Joshi
7. Vinyl Windows And Aluminium Windows Okc- Which To Choose For Your Home?
Author: Fred Lydick
8. Appsquadz: The Prominent Mobile App Development Company In Goodfirms Research
Author: vivek kumar
9. Top Reasons To Get Short Term Payday Loan
Author: Broad Stevens
10. Learning To Fly: Start A New Business In Singapore
Author: Singh Sukhbir
11. Hdfc Securities And Kotak Securities Offer The Best Trading Platforms For Stock Markets
12. Add Beauty To Your Home With The Best Scented Candle
13. Top Iphone 8 Rumors
Author: Josh Carr
14. Meishen Technology Is A Strong Team
Author: hu Allen
15. How Ecommerce Logistics Partners Are Helping Smes Make A Mark Online
Author: shiwangi ecourierz