ALL >> Business >> View Article
European Banks Perform Well While Data Indicates The Uk Economy Is Gaining Moment
Total Articles: 20
Aug. 02, 2013 - CHIYODA-KU, Japan -- The Stoxx Europe 600 index added nearly a percentage point, with banks as the best performing sector in the market. Lloyds Banking Group PLC gained 7.5% after its first profitable half year in three years. Shares of the bank are up 52% this year, surpassing the government´s break even point. The bank is also considering resuming paying dividends, for the first time in five years after the government bailout. Unfortunately financial regulators may require the bank to put side more capital to hedge against potential lending losses, which would postpone dividends. Lloyds posted 1.56 billion pounds in net income from the first two quarters this year versus a 697 million pound loss in the same period last year.
The third largest bank in France, Societe Generale SA´s net profits doubled to 955 million Euros in quarter two shattering forecasts of 608 million Euros.
Positive data from the official Chinese Purchasing Managers Index helped to drive mining and other resource firms. The index registered a surprising gain indicating expansion, which boosts resource firms because China is a major consumer of natural resources. Shares of Glencore Xstrata PLC and Anglo American PLC both rose more than 2% and the larger Rio Tinto PLC gained 1.7%. Not all resource firms preformed as well, Royal Dutch Shell PLC lost 5% after reporting a 60% drop in quarter two profits.
Markit/CIPS released its manufacturing Purchasing Managers Index for the UK, which rose to a two year high of 54.6 in July. Analysts as The Lexington Group believe that this along with other surveys indicate that momentum is growing in the UK economy and the Bank of England will reduce its stimulus policy in the second half of the year. The Bank of England announced Thursday, that they will not change the lending rate of 0.5% or their asset purchasing program. A meeting on forward guidance is scheduled for next week.
Business Articles1. One Of The Best Kitchen Equipment Manufacturers
Author: Paul Wright
2. Advantages Of Getting Listed In Online Construction Directory
Author: John Smith
3. How Radiologist Email Lists From Healthcare Mailing Change Your Business Perception?
Author: Richard Braxon
4. Choose Yourself As A Yoga Teacher With The Help Of Adinath Ashram
Author: Jack Stevens
5. Best Service Provider For Life Time Events In Pune
Author: biz porto
6. Crimping Your Own Earrings
Author: Nitesh Pathak
7. An Overview Of Surface And Chemical Analysis
Author: Tan Sean
8. Prorack Roof-racks Install With Smart-foot Technology
Author: Tony Bulic
9. Siib: The Changing Face Of Business Education In India
Author: Mohan Kumar
10. Things To Know About Coworking Spaces
11. Things To Consider Before Opting For A Mailbox Rental
12. Different Types Of Advertisement Print Products
13. Advantages Of Hiring Professionals For Printing
14. Data Cabling Through Wire Mesh Cable Tray
Author: Noah Gabriel
15. Pretreatment And Grit Removal From Sewage Water To Repurpose It
Author: Manoj Shukla