ALL >> Health >> View Article
Essential Facts About Medical Abortion Pills
Total Articles: 73
Mifepristone is a steroid that is used by most pharmaceuticals as an abortive method in ending the first trimester. It usually attacks progesterone receptors and is therefore administered as an emergency contraceptive in smaller doses.
The manufacturing firm which designed this synthetic drug, also called RU-486, is under the supervision of RousselUclaf. This so-called "abortion pill" was initially sold in France, followed by other countries. Even in the midst of controversial issues, the marketing and dispensing of the product still goes on. The abortion pill is marketed under trade names Korlym and Mifeprex.
Mifepristone is mostly sold outside of the United States by Exelgyn Laboratories in France with names as Mifegyne, and is medically approved for the use of the following:
• Medically, as a termination of intrauterine pregnancies up to 49 days of gestation or up to 63 days gestation in Europe particularly Sweden and Britain.
• Prior to mechanical dilatation for pregnancy termination of the cervix it is use as a cervical softening and dilatation.
• In 13 to 24 weeks gestation, it is mostly used in combination with gemeprost for termination of pregnancies.
• Used to induce labor in cases of fetal death while inside the uterus.
Other uses of the drug
As observed in Phase 2 clinical studies of this mifepristone, other clinical uses of the drug include oral contraception, treatment for endometriosis, glaucoma, uterine fibroids and meningiomas, plus breast, ovary, and prostate cancers.
The drug is also been found effective in treating Cushing's syndrome without side effects even after 10 years of administration. Additionally, it is also observed to be effective in significantly addressing symptoms of pyshotic major depression, a form of depression resistant to conventional therapy. Effects were immediate; however, the study was restricted by the small sample in very constricted duration of treatment.
The existence of this abortion pill has been hounded by so much controversy and negative feedbacks. In United States alone, many pro-life groups were actively protesting against its approval and more people were continuously crusading for its withdrawal. Cited views were either on the ethical issues with the concept of abortion or on safety concerns with regard to the drugs adverse reactions to humans including death, which was then marked as "RU-486 Suspension and Review Act".
Moreover, even religious and pro-life group outside the United States of America have also crusaded against the use of Mifepristone more specifically in Germany and Australia. Consequently, proper administration of this drug should be supported by a medical specialist.
The Orlando Women's Center serves the purpose of giving women the most advanced abortion procedures in a supportive and comfortable environment. They supply the Mifepristone Abortion Pill for those considering a non-invasive abortion. For more information, visit this resource: (http://www.womenscenter.com/medical_chemical_abortion.html).
Health Articles1. Itchy Manhood? Use Shea Butter And Vitamin E
Author: John Dugan
2. Porcelain Veneers: What Are They And Why You Might Need Them
3. Dental Professionals – Do You Need To Have A Trusting Relationship
4. Why You Will Need Emergency Dental Care
5. Things To Remember When Choosing The Best Dental Professional For Your Loved Ones
6. The Things To Reflect On Before Selecting A Dental Professional That Can Meet All Your Requirements
7. Don't Fear The Dentist - Beating Your Dental Stress
8. Indications Of A Bad Dentist
9. Best Tips To Choosing A Family Dental Expert
10. Regular Dental Cleaning - Why It Is Necessary
11. Top Five Reasons To Truly Have Periodic Dental Cleaning Done
12. Get Emergency Medical Support By Panchmukhi Air Ambulance Service In Mumbai
Author: Dr Mukesh Kumar
13. Why You May Consider Dental Dentures
14. Great Guidance For Denture Users
15. Teeth Extraction And Why It Is Important