ALL » Legal >> View Article
How Much To Register Company Name And Trademark In Canada?By Expert Author: Stephan Bell
Unlike trademark registration application, the law provides that you register your company name before you can start doing business in Canada. Of course, this is assuming that you already know what line of business you are going to be in. Your business could be in the form of sole proprietorship, cooperative, partnership or corporation. Registering a business name is quite a ministerial process. There are only a handful of reasons why the name will be rejected such as when the name is already taken by somebody else.
How to register
You can download the form from the corporate registry online. There’s not much difference in the process of registration from city to city. For example, in Alberta you don’t have to fill out a form when you register your name. All the details will be encoded directly into what is known as the corporate registry computer system. In Ontario, you will have to fill out a form when you register your company name, which will list down the company name and address, a brief description of the nature of the business as well as the owner’s name and address.
In Quebec, the business name application is very easy. You just submit a declaration of registration from before the Registraire des entreprises (REQ) in Montréal or Québec City. The forms are available in French and English.
How much does it cost?
The fee is very affordable when you register your company name as you will only fork over $40-80 or so. In British Colombia, once your business name is approved, you have to register your business within two months. If you fail to do so, you will have to repeat the whole process again because the right to your business name has already lapsed. This process is similar to what they are doing in Alberta. For Ontario, it’s necessary for you to have a license which will hinge on the form of business you are starting. Other requirements include insurance for workers compensation or harmonized sales tax. Your company name should be renewed every five years.
The Trade mark application is pretty straightforward. The applicant should go to the Trademarks Office and file an application. He can also file an application online through the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. There are several application forms so make sure you fill out all the necessary blank marks. The applicant can apply for use or “making-known in Canada, foreign use and application/registration, proposed in Canada, or any combination.” You pay $250-300 along with your application form. Once your trademark application is approved, you will pay another $200 so you can secure your certificate of registration. But these are the minimum amount that you can spend, there are other fees associated with the application.
Author has specialization in intellectual property law and legal services including services to register company name. In this write up he provides guideline on filing Trademark registration application and protecting your business.
Legal Articles1. Finish Your Property Related Work Fast With The Estate Lawyer Vancouver Services
Author: John Petter
2. Hiring An Attorney Lessens The Severe Penalties
Author: MICHAEL GREENBERG
3. Top Risks Associated With Ivc Filter Injury And How To Find Perfect Legal Help In Ft. Worth
Author: Nick Feizy
4. Aquel Alquiler Coche Alicante Se Agrupa Un Desperdiciamiento Topológico
Author: Katherina Soto
5. The Lemon Law
Author: Howard Gutman
6. Cuanto Alquiler De Coche En Alicante Zahoria Este Libertarismo Gesticulador
Author: Faith Real
7. Seat Belt Injury Law Firm – The Safety Purpose Of Seat Belts
8. El Alquiler Coches Aeropuerto Alicante Desenlabona Ese Telonero Arbitrador Excepto Un Mecato Sangui
Author: Latia Gaunt
9. Best Interests Of The Child: What Guides Judges’ Decision-making
10. Forensic Document & Handwriting Examiner | James A. Green
Author: James A. Green
11. 7 Must Take Steps After Encountering A Catastrophic Auto Accident In Texas
12. Things To Know About Filing Personal Injury Claims
13. What Steps You Must Follow To File A Medical Negligence Claim
Author: Charlie Alcott
14. Is There Difficulty In Finding Answers To Your Carpet Cleaning?
Author: Helen Raley
15. The Houston Criminal Defense Attorneys Are Experts In Dealing With All Types Of Criminal Cases