ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
Frozen Seafood-are You Eating Safe?By Expert Author: Xu Lixing
Over the past decade, there has been a substantial increase in Seafood consumption. As more and more people are getting aware of the nutritional and health benefits of seafood, it is starting to emerge as a most sought after delicacy among the masses. Consumer awareness has also played a major role in the development and growth of this market worldwide. Today there are major fishing companies who cater to this growing demand of Seafood among consumers. You can find a variety of frozen Seafood like White Shrimp, Frozen Blue Mussels, Alaska Pollock, Atlantic Cod, Golden Pompon, frozen squid and many more, easily available at a supermarket or a stall near you.
But the question is; as a consumer, are you aware of where and how your Seafood is processed? How do you know if it’s safe for consumption and really wholesome? Are these questions important?
Seafood or Frozen Seafood is considered to be a “High Risk Food” which means these types of food are more prone to the growth of bacteria and other harmful organisms that results in food poisoning. Though there are many health benefits attached to seafood, extreme caution is required in the preserving of these food items. Strict quality control procedures including proper storage with the right temperature control and protection against environmental contamination is a must.
Today most fish are flash-frozen as soon as their caught. This technique helps delay the decaying process and helps keep intact the nutritional value of the fish. Major fish suppliers take utmost care in terms of quality control and the way these Frozen Seafood’s are transported. Despite all these measures it is the customer who needs to know what he picks is safe or not.
How can you be sure?
1. Check whether the Seafood is stored properly. Normally fish should be kept at a temperature between 0-1⁰ C. Fish will survive for long if gutted. If not refrigerated, ensure that the fish is kept on a thick layer of ice which is not melting and preferably covers the fish properly.
2. When buying whole fish or fillets see that its flesh is firm and shiny and there are no signs of discolouration.
3. The gills of the fish should be bright red coloured with no milky slime.
4. The fish should not have a stale or sour odour; buy fish that smells mild and fresh.
5. If buying packed fish, read the label carefully and ensure that it has been refrigerated at the recommended temperature, check the packaging date. Make sure it isn’t old stock.
6. Inspect the package properly for any damage and avoid buying stuff with damaged packaging.
There is also a need to ensure that the Seafood is taken care of after it leaves the stall till it reaches your plate and here it’s your responsibility to take utmost care that your Seafood remains safe on its way back home and throughout. What can be done?
1. If frozen Seafood is on your shopping list get it at the end of your shopping. In that way you will reduce its time away from the refrigerator.
2.If it’s going take you more than 30 minutes to reach home, it’s advisable to store your Frozen food in a insulated bag or in some other way make sure its kept cool.
3. Once home, securely wrap and immediately place it in the freezer to prevent spread of bacteria.
So the next time when you buy your Frozen Sea food ensure that what you are eating is safe.
About the Author-
King Nestle International Company specializes in supplying the highest quality sea food products (such as vannamei white shrimp, frozen tilapia fillets, Alaska Pollock fish, etc.) They proudly present their seafood industry (Golden Pompano) services that can add extra value to the commercial markets. Their highly dedicated customer service will give the confidence and pleasure working with them.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. Reasons For American Restaurants’ Reputation As Pleasure Dinning
Author: Mathew Gomes
2. The Reasons That Make Vietnamese Cuisine Special
Author: Spencer Wiedermann
3. Surprise Her With Cooking Class Gift Vouchers For Her Birthday
Author: Chef Ha Nguyen
4. Top Services Used In Successful Food Marketing
Author: anil kumar
5. Ready To Tingle Your Taste Buds In Thai & Chinese Restaurants In Dubai
6. Comparing The Restaurant Aldelo Pos System With Cash Registers
Author: Glen Oliver
7. Simplified Factsheet About Drinking Alkaline Water
Author: Hampry Gomes
8. Order Food Online Delivery In Gold Coasta To Satisfy Your Craving For Exotic And Authentic Indian Cu
9. Why Taco Catering Is As Perfect For Independence Day As Hot Dogs And Apple Pie
Author: Justin Prietto
10. National Taco Day: When Is It, And How To Celebrate It
Author: Justin Prietto
11. Kosher Taco Catering - A Growing Demand For The Best Of Holidays And Celebrations
Author: Justin Prietto
12. Emerging Issues In Food Safety-globally
Author: Event Manager
13. Caffeine Is Tea Is Good For Health
Author: Ginette Theodore
14. Peanuts- More Than Just A Way To Pass The Time Of Day
15. Hotels And Restaurants In Dubai- Home Away From Home?
Author: Dyllan Samer