ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Disability Lawyer In Toronto Can Significantly Increase The Chances Of A Positive Outcome
Total Articles: 47
An insurance policy that covers you for compensation if you are unable to work due to disability is a contract between you and your employer or an insurance company.
Any disability lawyer in Toronto will tell you that a contract is binding because much of the contract deals with the rights and obligations of the parties to each other.
If you are injured in an accident or otherwise and cannot work and your long term disability (LTD) lawyer denies you benefits it is prudent to seek the services of a lawyer.
The reason is simple. Long term disability companies are hawks. We would be naïve to expect them to be impartial. The more disability claims they approve, the more is the outgo from their funds. Admittedly, they will put all efforts to deny disability claims by putting forth flimsy reasons.
LTD companies use bad faith tactics to deny legitimate claims.
What is bad faith?
Bad faith means duplicity, deception, or double mindedness. It can involve intentional deceit. In insurance lingo, bad faith is a legal term that describes a tort claim an insured person can have against an insurance company.
Under the law of most jurisdictions in Canada insurance companies owe their insurers good faith and fair dealing.
If an insurance company violates that pledge, the policy holder has all rights to sue the company on a tort claim in addition to standard breach of contract claim.
Insurance companies use a host of tactics to deny claims. For a claimant it may not be possible to decide on their own whether bad faith tactics were employed by the insurance company.
Here are some general examples of how insurance companies deny claims.
• Intentionally or otherwise ignores facts that support the claim
• Pays benefits conditionally or with reservations and then threatens recovery
• Imposes new terms that do not appear in the policy
• Allege material misrepresentation by the claimant
• Perform coercive claim practices
• Conduct shady surveillance that trespass claimant’s privacy
• Overuse independent medical examiners (IMEs)
• Offers low settlements
• Do not adhere to fair claim practices
The above list is only illustrative. A disability lawyer in Toronto will tell you that the methods applied by LTD companies to deny claims are many more.
Yet, claimants on their part can do something on their own to strengthen their case. Here are a few suggestions. Claimants must:
• Make an effort to understand the terms, requirements, and limitations of the policy – Sometimes there are differences between the obvious meanings of a word and the legal implication of the word. The definition of disability itself has many hues. For instance, insurers distinguish differently of a person being disabled from job, own occupation and any occupation.
• Must be in close touch with the treating doctor – This helps in providing strongest possible evidence in support of the LTD claim
• Maintain documents in a chronological order
• Be fully prepared for medical examination by Insurer’s Medical Examiners
• Appeal denials within the stipulated time
There are many more. In any case if you are thinking about hiring a long term disability lawyer, benefits are many and worth going over.
Share Lawyers is disability lawyer in Toronto committed to protecting the rights of individuals in Ontario. The long term disability lawyer handles legal matters in the areas of insurance disputes involving illness, injury or death, long term disability denials, motor vehicle accidents, and serious personal injuries.
Legal Articles1. 7 Keys To Improving Lead Conversion For Personal Injury Lawyers
2. Hire Drug Possession Lawyer Houston To Safeguard Your Constitutional Rights
3. For Child Support Issues, Consult The Springfield Missouri Child Support Lawyers In Greene County
Author: Kirk C. Stange, Esq.
4. Why Is It Important To Contact An Attorney In Phoenix?
5. Overview Of The Ins And Outs Of Settling A Car Accident Claim In Scottsdale
6. Seattle Insurance Lawyer To Settle Accident Claims
Author: Chris Thayer
7. Four Crucial Complications That Can Result Immediately After Ivc Filter Transplant
Author: Nick Feizy
8. Who Do I Sue After A Car Accident In Tucson?
9. Check Criminal Records
10. Knowing More About Forfeiture And Bail Bonds
Author: Emily Stone
11. What Does It Take To Hire A Car Accident Attorney
Author: ABetter UCBD
12. Requirements For Proving “inability To Present The Case” - Enforcement Of Foreign Awards
Author: S Ravi Shankar
13. Amazing Guide To Hire The Accident Attorney
Author: Chris Thayer
14. Can You Still Recover Damages - If You Were Not Wearing A Seatbelt
15. St Louis Missouri Divorce Lawyers Can Help You Rebuild Your Life
Author: kirk c stange