ALL >> Home-Based-Business >> View Article
7 Cool Things You Didn't Know About Miami, Florida
Total Articles: 452
Miami is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the United States, and what's not to love? This beautiful city is known for its legendary nightlife, beautiful beaches, sunny weather and cultural diversity, but there's still plenty you probably don't know about the area. Here are 7 cool things you may not have realized about the most beautiful city in Florida.
1. Miami Beach, Florida Used to be a Mangrove Swamp
This glittering, lively city was once a swamp infested with mosquitoes and no railroad or deep water port. It remained this way until development began in the 1920's with the expansion of a railroad system from West Palm Beach to Miami.
2. Miami's First ATM Was Made for Rollerbladers
In 1996, Citibank's location in the city of Miami Beach came up with a great way to help rollerbladers get access to their money on the go. They installed an ATM outside the bank, complete with a ramp.
3. Miami Beach is Home to the Largest Collection of Art Deco Architecture
The city of Miami Beach has 30 full blocks of beautifully preserved Art Deco apartment buildings, hotels and clubs built between the 20's and 40's. Many of these are found on Ocean Drive, Washington Avenue and Collins Avenue and most have been fully restored and repainted in their original pastel hues. The city is still home to the famous Park Central Hotel, where celebrities from Hollywood like Clark Gable used to unwind.
4. Miami is the Only Major U.S. City Planned by a Woman
Julia Tuttle, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, moved to Miami in the late 1800's after the death of her husband. Nicknamed the "mother of Miami," she developed the area and was responsible for convincing railroad owner Henry Flagler to expand his railway to Miami, Florida, which was incorporated not long afterward.
5. There are More Than 800 Parks in Miami
Miami, Florida is the only city in the United States bordered by 2 different national parks: the Biscayne National Park and the Everglades National Park. There are also hundreds of parks throughout the downtown area, as well as the suburbs and oceanside communities. Great examples include Lummus Park in Miami Beach, Florida, the Miami Beach Botanical Garden and the famously busy South Pointe Park also in Miami Beach, FL.
6. Miami has the Largest Cruise Ship Port on Earth
Nicknamed the Cargo Gateway of the Americas and the Cruise Capital of the World, the Port of Miami has more than 1,000,000 people pass through every single year.
7. Sunscreen was Invented by a Miami Beach Doctor
Physician Benjamin Green created a lotion in the 40's for WWII soldiers in the South Pacific. Considered the first sunscreen in the world, he produced this red-colored gel in his kitchen, which was later manufactured by Coppertone. Isn't it fitting that the inventor of sunscreen would come from such a sun-soaked environment?
Home Based Business Articles1. Awesome Guide To Buy Hot Water Cylinder
Author: Jose Wood
2. How To Select A Locksmith In Dc Area?
Author: Locksmith DC
3. Best Interior Design Expert In Bangalore
Author: Taurus Inspro
4. Vboard, Vplank, Vpremium, Vpanel, Shera Board, Shera Plank, Bison Board, Plywood And Laminates Deal
5. Textured Paint Cape Town And Customized Wall Coatings Are The Affordable And Practical Decorative Op
Author: Matthew Johnson
6. Interior Designers In Madurai
7. Mosquito Trap Is Your First Step Toward Mosquito Prevention
Author: Mosquito Aire
8. Select A Suitable Home Ventilation System But Carefully
Author: George Dean
9. Crownbamboo Shop
Author: crownbamboo shop
10. Know These About Buying A Home Security Door
Author: J.R. Hudson
11. Exquisite Display & Storage Solutions For Kitchen Cabinets
Author: Nisha Sarna
12. All You Need To Know About Coffee Mugs As Gifts
Author: Stewart smith
13. Refresh Your Lavatory With An Absolute Refurbishment
Author: Nisha Sarna
14. Corporate Interior Designers In Bangalore
Author: Taurus Inspro
15. Prefer A Small Builder Than A Larger One
Author: Michael Abbott