ALL >> Health >> View Article
Causes And Solutions For Tmj Pain
Total Articles: 2
What Is TMJ Disorder?
The Temporomandibular joint, which is also known as the TMJ joint, connects your jawbone to your skull. It helps you open and close your mouth. TMJ disorder is a condition that causes pain in the jaw joint and muscles. Facial pain, tenderness or pain in the jaw, headache, earache, discomfort while chewing, clicking and popping of the jaw and locking of the jaw joint are some of the symptoms of TMJ disorder.
What Causes TMJ Disorder?
The exact causes of TMJ disorder are not always clear. However, health care professionals have been able to identify a number of things that can possibly contribute to this disorder. Teeth grinding, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and jaw clenching are some of the things that can possibly contribute to TMJ disorder. Furthermore, this condition is most common in women who are between the ages of 20 and 40.
Solutions For TMJ Disorder
If you suffer from TMJ disorder, then it is best to seek the help of a qualified TMJ specialist. Many dentists have been trained to treat this disorder.
Below are some of the treatments that are available for TMJ:
• Oral splints - An oral splint is also known as a mouth guard. This device is inserted over the teeth. A mouth guard will prevent you from grinding your teeth.
• Corrective dental treatments - Bite problems can contribute to teeth grinding. That is why a dentist may recommend a corrective dental procedure, such as braces, crowns and bridges.
• Jaw exercises - Your dentist, physical therapist or doctor can help you perform exercises that strengthen and stretch your jaw muscles.
• Medications - Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as Tylenol or Advil, can help alleviate the pain of this condition. If you do not experience relief with over-the-counter medications, then your doctor or dentist may prescribe you stronger ones. Muscle relaxants can also be used to treat TMJ disorder.
• Cold Pack - Your dentist may recommend that you apply a cold pack to temple area and face for about 10 minutes. You may be advised to repeat this several times throughout the day.
• Injections - If you do not experience relief with oral splints, jaw exercises or medications, then injections may be recommended. Botox and corticosteroid injections have been shown to be effective for alleviating the pain of TMJ disorder.
• Surgery - In rare cases, surgery is recommended. TMJ surgery is very controversial, and experts recommend that people use other treatment methods before they choose surgery.
So, above information may help you to tackle with your Temporomandibular Joint pain , Teeth grinding, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and jaw clenching are some of the things that can possibly contribute to the disorderand If you suffer from Temporomandibular Joint disorder, then it is best to seek the help of a qualified TMJ specialist.
Solution for this disorder are given above as Oral splints, Corrective dental treatments , Jaw exercises, Medications, Cold Pack, Injections,
Now by this article you so can judge the reason behind the pain of your jaw.
Health Articles1. Male Organ Pain: Are Barrier Protections To Blame?
Author: John Dugan
2. Know About The Key Responsibilities Of A Healthcare Support Worker
Author: Paige Rees
3. Smilex - The Place For Getting The Best Solution For Dental Issues
Author: Mohan Kumar
4. The Easiest Guide Ever To Get Fit & Healthy
5. Span Sure Medical Instruments Pvt. Ltd., Korea Automatic Thermal Massage Bed - Suppliers
Author: spansure medical
6. Midwives Acquire Nursing And Midwifery Programs To Fulfill Big Responsibilities
7. Specialties And Steps Involved In Elective Abroad Medical And Pre Medical Programs
8. Clinically Proven Solutions For Hairloss!!! Unfortunately Less Known!!!
9. How To Treat Gum Disease?
Author: Chris Hugh
10. Ways To Find The Best Chiropody Clinic
Author: The Harley Medical Foot and Nail Laser Clinic Lond
11. How A Good Parent Helps A Childcare Western Sydney
Author: Colleen Grenville
12. Top 30 Signs And Symptoms Of Adrenal Fatigue
Author: Peter Dobie
13. Male Organ Pain After Oral Sensual Activity: Urethritis?
Author: John Dugan
14. The Growing Relevance Of Mobile Massage Services In Albuquerque
Author: Bernadette Gongora
15. Now Natural Cure For Diabetes Is In Your Fingertips
Author: Salveo Life Sciences Limited