ALL >> Education >> View Article
3 Exercises To Become A Better Writer
Total Articles: 37
If you're an aspiring writer then the chances are that you're looking for ways to improve your writing skills and become a better writer. Take a look at these simple exercises and work them into your writing routine.
1. Write a review
It doesn't have to be a published review but you should deliberately set out to write in the style of your favourite magazine or newspaper or blog and you should also set yourself both a word limit and a time limit.
Most reviews are done to fit a specific space so unless you're used to precision count writing, you'll probably need to write first and edit later. Don't be tempted to pad out your review with lots of filler words - editors and readers hate this.
Set the clock and start writing. Again, reviews are done to a deadline - if you miss the presses, that's it, your review is worse than yesterday's news.
The review could be of anything you like - a movie you've just watched, a television show, a CD (if you're old fashioned like me and still buy those!), absolutely anything that could potentially get reviewed.
2. Go back in your mind
Pick an event that's taken place in your life. It doesn't have to be anything life changing and you can decide whether to write it from a fiction or a non-fiction perspective.
The idea with this is to make your writing as vivid and descriptive as possible.
You can choose the style - first person or third person or whatever - and you can choose how serious or flippant the description is.
But the closer you can write to making someone feel as though they could have been physically present at the event, the better.
This is one of those tasks that sounds initially easy but isn't actually anywhere near as easy to get "right". And the third exercise will almost certainly tax your mind...
3. Write in the style of a specific paper or magazine
Almost every newspaper or magazine has a house style. Pick one that you don't normally read.
Tabloids are the easiest to spot and one of the hardest styles to mimic for most people. So if you're feeling brave, start with a tabloid style.
Any of these exercises will help you hone your writing skills.
Of course, you also need to make sure that you're not spending so much time practicing how to become a better writer that you don't actually keep writing your own work!
Education Articles1. Data Science Is Increasing Extensively And It Is Everywhere
2. Why I Should Join Digital Marketing Training In Bhopal
Author: Sanjay Burman
3. How To Write Pertinent Assignments
Author: Jessica Gross
4. Digital Marketing Trend In 2018
Author: TOPS Technologies
5. Top 10 Digital Marketing Tools
Author: Learn Vern
6. Latest Cisco 200-125 Exam Dumps 2018
7. Simple Mule Esb Interview Questions |bytes Online Training
Author: Rahul Tandale
8. The Right Place To Get Your Get Your Engineering Degree
Author: ponting brown
9. Open Gateways To Your Dream Mba Programmes At Symbiosis With Snap!
Author: Mohan Patil
10. Optimising Keywords With Seo Training Institute In Mumbai
Author: Jayesh Jagtap
11. Empower Your Skills With Ethical Hacking Training Program
12. Learn Web Designing Courses In Chandigarh
Author: James Digosta
13. Different Courses And Programmes Of Learning Chinese Language.
Author: Michel Kern
14. How To Install Windows On A Mac With Boot Camp (boot Camp Software)
15. What Should You Do When Receive A Message “macro Is Disabled Due To Security Settings?”
Author: Multisoft Virtual Academy