ALL >> Education >> View Article
3 Exercises To Become A Better Writer
Total Articles: 37
If you're an aspiring writer then the chances are that you're looking for ways to improve your writing skills and become a better writer. Take a look at these simple exercises and work them into your writing routine.
1. Write a review
It doesn't have to be a published review but you should deliberately set out to write in the style of your favourite magazine or newspaper or blog and you should also set yourself both a word limit and a time limit.
Most reviews are done to fit a specific space so unless you're used to precision count writing, you'll probably need to write first and edit later. Don't be tempted to pad out your review with lots of filler words - editors and readers hate this.
Set the clock and start writing. Again, reviews are done to a deadline - if you miss the presses, that's it, your review is worse than yesterday's news.
The review could be of anything you like - a movie you've just watched, a television show, a CD (if you're old fashioned like me and still buy those!), absolutely anything that could potentially get reviewed.
2. Go back in your mind
Pick an event that's taken place in your life. It doesn't have to be anything life changing and you can decide whether to write it from a fiction or a non-fiction perspective.
The idea with this is to make your writing as vivid and descriptive as possible.
You can choose the style - first person or third person or whatever - and you can choose how serious or flippant the description is.
But the closer you can write to making someone feel as though they could have been physically present at the event, the better.
This is one of those tasks that sounds initially easy but isn't actually anywhere near as easy to get "right". And the third exercise will almost certainly tax your mind...
3. Write in the style of a specific paper or magazine
Almost every newspaper or magazine has a house style. Pick one that you don't normally read.
Tabloids are the easiest to spot and one of the hardest styles to mimic for most people. So if you're feeling brave, start with a tabloid style.
Any of these exercises will help you hone your writing skills.
Of course, you also need to make sure that you're not spending so much time practicing how to become a better writer that you don't actually keep writing your own work!
Education Articles1. Industrial Safety Online Course
Author: Somiya khatun
2. Intensive Chinese Language Program Shanghai – Become The Master Of The Language
Author: Michel Kern
3. How Primavera Training Program Is Beneficial For Your Career Growth?
4. How Is The Future Of Ios Developer In Today's Technology?
5. Ibm Mdm Online Training
Author: ukumari VirtualNuggets
6. The Online Oracle Interview Questions Help In Your Interview Preparation
7. 10 Most Common Mistakes Every Beginner Java Programmer Makes
8. How Is Ms Ramaiah Institute Of Technology In Terms Of Placements, Ranking, Fees And Admissions?
9. Top Ways To Know How Digital Marketing Grow Your Business Online
Author: Vishal Varma
10. Best Techniques And Tactics For Sales And Marketing Coach
Author: Sanjay Burman
11. Sales And Marketing Strategy By Synture Group For Small Businesses
Author: Mrs. Manushree Soni
12. Best Education Channels In India – Enriching The Students Future
Author: Nitesh Sharma
13. Problems With Programs And The Law Of Attraction
Author: Shannon Panzo
14. Enrol Into An Ielts Coaching Class To Derive Meritorious Results In English
Author: Jackson Snowball
15. Get Familiarize With The Key Benefits Of Cbap Training Program