ALL >> Education >> View Article
3 Exercises To Become A Better Writer
Total Articles: 37
If you're an aspiring writer then the chances are that you're looking for ways to improve your writing skills and become a better writer. Take a look at these simple exercises and work them into your writing routine.
1. Write a review
It doesn't have to be a published review but you should deliberately set out to write in the style of your favourite magazine or newspaper or blog and you should also set yourself both a word limit and a time limit.
Most reviews are done to fit a specific space so unless you're used to precision count writing, you'll probably need to write first and edit later. Don't be tempted to pad out your review with lots of filler words - editors and readers hate this.
Set the clock and start writing. Again, reviews are done to a deadline - if you miss the presses, that's it, your review is worse than yesterday's news.
The review could be of anything you like - a movie you've just watched, a television show, a CD (if you're old fashioned like me and still buy those!), absolutely anything that could potentially get reviewed.
2. Go back in your mind
Pick an event that's taken place in your life. It doesn't have to be anything life changing and you can decide whether to write it from a fiction or a non-fiction perspective.
The idea with this is to make your writing as vivid and descriptive as possible.
You can choose the style - first person or third person or whatever - and you can choose how serious or flippant the description is.
But the closer you can write to making someone feel as though they could have been physically present at the event, the better.
This is one of those tasks that sounds initially easy but isn't actually anywhere near as easy to get "right". And the third exercise will almost certainly tax your mind...
3. Write in the style of a specific paper or magazine
Almost every newspaper or magazine has a house style. Pick one that you don't normally read.
Tabloids are the easiest to spot and one of the hardest styles to mimic for most people. So if you're feeling brave, start with a tabloid style.
Any of these exercises will help you hone your writing skills.
Of course, you also need to make sure that you're not spending so much time practicing how to become a better writer that you don't actually keep writing your own work!
Education Articles1. Your Cellphone. Your Ultimate Learning Aid
2. Why Sap Fico As A Career For Finance People?
3. Crushing Of A Cylindrical Tube
4. 5 Ways How Room Design Helps To Progress Guitar Playing
Author: David Ks Music School
5. Providing The Best Mother And Child Care
Author: ponting brown
6. Education Is Like Fun With Mobile Apps!
Author: ponting brown
7. Business Objects Training - Certification Course
8. Software Training Program For Dot Net
Author: MindQ Systems
9. Digital Marketing Services
Author: khajaramthulla channavaram
10. Terms And Definitions In Software Testing
Author: Siyaram Ray
11. Wondering How To Write An Admission Essay? Follow This Section Closely
Author: Wayne Evans
12. Why Choose Prothoughts For Pmp Certification?
13. Get The Best And Interactive Training For Pmp Certification
14. How To Grow Professionally With Project Management Course?
15. What Type Of Training Is Offered For Pmp Training In Hyderabad