ALL >> Education >> View Article
Ways To Become A Better Writer
Total Articles: 40
If you write anything on a regular basis - whether it's reports for work, essays for school or college, articles like this one or bigger projects such as books - then the chances are that it's crossed your mind that you could become a better writer. That means different things for different people - it could be speed, it could be better grammar, a wider vocabulary or whatever - but following at least some of these tips should help you to become a better writer.
1. Start now!
Too often, we procrastinate and put off even starting to write.
It's better to start writing or typing and then improve on it later rather than just stare at the cursor flashing on an annoyingly blank screen.
It's not unusual for writing to need time to "warm up" in much the same way a car does. Indeed, if you've ever looked at a course on sales letter writing the near-enough standard advice is to discard your first few paragraphs because they will be essentially waffle and the sales letter won't have got started until it's a few paragraphs in.
So don't wait until the time is right. Start now. And edit later - that uses a different process in your mind completely and doesn't mix at all well with the writing process.
2. Improve your vocabulary
Most of us have a set vocabulary and a set series of phrases we use. I know that I can tell something I've written near enough at a glance due to the style and phrases used. You can probably do the same.
Find something that will help you widen your vocabulary. Not too wide - you probably still want people to understand what you've written without constantly searching a dictionary - but at least a bit wider.
Crosswords and word puzzles are one way of doing that. Sites like FreeRice are another way (that one gets tricky fast!). But however you decide, play around with the occasional word that stretches your normal writing style even slightly. Over time, you'll find that new words or new ways of saying things almost spring into your mind without trying.
3. Read more
Don't use this as an excuse not to write. And don't use it as an excuse to plaigiarise other authors. And be careful that you don't unknowingly imitiate their style. So you'll need to be a bit cautious but reading other authors is a good way to improve your writing skills.
Education Articles1. One Of The Best And Renowned Cbse School In Pcmc, Pune - Academic Heights Public School
Author: Academic Heights Public School
2. Best Selenium Training Institute In Marathahalli Bangalore
Author: Gyan Guide
3. Accelerate Your Stagnant Career With An Executive Mba
Author: Great Learning
4. Open Access Online Journal Helps Researchers To Provide Research Papers
Author: Dr. Pawan Verma
5. New Mobile App.- 1.9 Launched By Justdakhila For Those Parents Searching School For Their Children
6. Best Spoken English, Pte, Ielts, Toefl Classes In Kurukshetra Harayana
Author: British Institute
7. Improve Career Path With Sap Certification | Sap Simple Finance Training
Author: venkat reddy
8. What Is Digital Marketing? What Are The Modules In Digital Marketing Courses?
9. Take Admissions In One Of The Best Engineering College
Author: ponting brown
10. Ccna Training: A Way For Bright Future
11. Doing The Sunday School Activities Perfectly And Own The Peace
Author: Parveen Kumar
12. Sap C_terp10_67 – Business Process Integration Certification
Author: Jose White
13. Usage Of Selenium In Automated Testing
Author: Siyaram Ray
14. Sap Certified Technology Associate – C_hanatech_11 Edition 2016
Author: Jose White
15. Pmp Is A Rage Among Employers As Well. Enrol For Pmp Training In Hyderabad Right Away