ALL >> Education >> View Article
Novel Revision - How Many Drafts Should You Write Before You're Done
Total Articles: 40
There isn't one right answer to this. Some writers plan, others do not. Some exactly know what will happen before they sit down and write, some know the ending without knowing how the characters will reach it, and some start with a situation or a set of characters with very little idea of where the story might take them. Some start at page one and write, and others start by writing key scenes and then link them together later.
All of these methods are fine, although it helps if you at least know the ending and some major crises that happen along the way. If you cannot have these in mind, you can easily get stuck halfway through.
If you have a day job, your book will always be at the back of your mind. You try to go through the day and try to do a good job, but this book is at the back of your mind. There has to be space in your head where your characters can develop even when you are not conscious of them. That is when your best ideas will come to you. Alway carry a notebook with you so you can jot down your ideas.
Schedule at least two uninterrupted hours for writing your book. Try to do this every day. Sit there and write even if you don't think what you are doing is any good. It really doesn't matter right now.
It all depends on how fast you write. Most people can write at least 500 words in two hours. If you write fast without stopping to revise you may do more than that, especially if it is at a time of major action in the plot. But 500 words is the minimum that you should complete at each session otherwise you might lose the thread of your novel.
If you are completely stuck, you might want to introduce a crisis and see how your characters react. It doesn't matter what it is, something completely random just to get you past the block. You can adapt or eliminate it later.
The second draft means for most writers leaving the book for several weeks and then coming back and rewriting the whole thing. It is much easier than writing the first draft and probably you will keep a lot of the scenes and tighten up the pacing, and maybe change the order of events, and cut out some incidents and some minor characters that are not important.
Education Articles1. Cheap Pte Training Helps You Score Good For Immigration Or Applying To Universities Abroad
2. Microsoft Certifications Can Help You Fulfil Your Career Objectives!
Author: Multisoft Virtual Academy
3. Best Online Education System
Author: sana javed
4. Five Factors To Consider For Attending Microsoft Dynamics Crm Training
5. Learn Spanish Online To Avails Lots Of Advantages
Author: Foreign Classes
6. Make Your Career Bright With Aws Solution Architect Associate Training
7. J2ee Training In Chennai
8. What Is The Scope Of Python?
9. Consultants How To Determine The Interest For An Online Class
Author: Arpita Classes
10. Key Benefits Of Microsoft Dynamics Crm In On Organization
11. Institute Of Overseas Languages & Training
12. How Community-centered Experiential Learning Is Used In Mba
Author: Shoeb Mannur
13. Climb Up Your Career Ladder With Cbap Certification!
Author: Multisoft Virtual Academy
14. Build Career On International Level With Best Ielts Coaching Institute
Author: Harvinder Singh always provides something useful f
15. Convey Tech Labs Offering Best Online It Training In India
Author: Vivek Potnuru