ALL >> Family >> View Article
Nine Questions To Keep Your Divorce Lawyer Honest
Total Articles: 14
There is a lot of incentive for litigation attorneys to blow sunshine up your skirt and tell you what you want to hear. In that first consultation at the beginning of your case, we lawyers are, after all, salespeople. We start with an optimistic overview of your case, and it will be awhile before we start to talk to you about any potential downside.
Plus, it's human nature to decide what you want to do, and then amass evidence supporting your position and discount evidence to the contrary. So we're going to help you do that, particularly at the beginning of your case.
Let's face it, nobody wants to hear bad news. But as an informed client, you need to be prepared for whatever might happen so that you can decide how to best handle your case.
If your lawyer is being honest, he or she will answer these questions:
1. What is my best case scenario in this case?
If the Judge agreed with everything I say, and nothing that my spouse says, what do you predict the outcome to be?
2. What's my worst case scenario in this case?
If the Judge doesn't agree with anything I say, but agrees with everything my spouse says, what do you predict the outcome to be?
3. What's an optimistic, but realistic outcome?
Let's say the Judge agrees with a good part of what I have to say, and some of what my spouse has to say, what do you predict the outcome to be?
4. What's a pessimistic, but realistic outcome?
If the Judge agrees with a good part of what my spouse has to say, and only some of what I have to say, what do you predict the outcome to be?
5. Will you play devil's advocate?
Pretend for a minute that you are my spouse's attorney. What would you tell my spouse based on what you've heard today? Please do not sugar coat your "advice" to my spouse?
6. What's the local reality?
I know you can show me copies of the law and legal cases. But based on what you're seeing down at the local courthouse, in the family court mediation and custody evaluation office, with the judges, and typical lawyer to lawyer negotiations, what are the realities of settling cases and trial outcomes? As a practical matter, what really goes on?
7. Is it worth it to enforce my rights?
Can you quantify the amount of money which is in question? If I enforce all of my rights in this case, as opposed to settling for something less, how will that compare with the legal fees and experts' fees it will cost to get everything I'm entitled to?
8. What's the range of cost?
If we went to court, what is the range of cost you'd see, given your experience with prior cases similar to mine, both high and low? Are you willing to put that estimate in writing?
9. Will you put my money where your mouth is?
It sounds to me like you're pretty certain of the result you can get for me in my divorce case. Would you please put that in writing? And if you're not willing to do that, why not?
If this feels confrontational, you can feel free to print this out and hand it to your lawyer.
Diana Mercer is a Divorce Mediation Attorney Los Angeles and the founder of Peace Talks Family Mediation Services; they provide you divorce mediation, Parenting Planning and Collaborative Mediation Los Angeles, Culver City, Ladera Heights, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.
Family Articles1. Relationship Therapy Nederland Can Help You Understand Your Loved Ones In A Better Way!
Author: Angelika Matthias
2. Avail 24 Hour Care Sunshine Coast Services To Look After Your Elders At Home
3. Top Tips To Help Seniors Have A Happy Holiday Season
Author: Sudhir Singh
4. Building A Circle Of Friends In Your Senior Years
Author: Sudhir Singh
5. The 24 Hour Care Sunshine Coast Is The Best Option For Elderly Care At Home
6. Full Time Employee, Entrepreneurand Father – The Highs And Lows
7. Know The Importance Of Maternity And Newborn Baby Photography
Author: Jennifer Gordon
8. Avail Home Care Sunshine Coast Services To Take Care Of Your Elders At Home
9. How To Make The Most Of Your Used Car & Why Should You Upsell?
Author: Kaitlin Miller
10. Tips To Select The Best Car Seat For Infants And Newborns
11. The Older We Get, The Happier We Are: Here’s Why?
Author: Sudhir Singh
12. Oh Summer! (part Deux)
Author: Closest Buddies
13. 3 Developments In Ivf Which Have Helped The Process To Achieve Higher Success Rates
Author: Dr Anoopg
14. A Great Wall Art For Your Home Decor
Author: sudha Santhosh
15. Top 10 Tips For Expats Living In The Uae
Author: Grace Ann