ALL >> Education >> View Article
Writing Believable Fictional Characters
Total Articles: 41
The smartest, prettiest, most intellectual or athletic of characters will not help your story if they are not believable. The more important the character is to the story, the more necessary it is that the reader can identify with that character. What will help to make a character believable?
· Consistency. While people are always good in some ways and not so good in others, you will confuse readers if their characteristics change during the story for no good reason. A person is not likely to kick a cat in one scene, and argue for animal rights in the next, for example.
· Honesty. No; I don't mean that only truth-tellers should be allowed on the pages of your book. You may want your character to be a believable liar. I mean honesty in showing that character as a real person, with foibles and strengths.
· The main characters, especially, should have to solve problems without recourse to incredible coincidences. Handsome heroes on magnificent white steeds, picking up the poor damsel in distress, are better in fairy tales. However, sometimes these things even happen in real life - so if you can write it believably, by all means do so. Just beware of relying on these magical devices to carry your story.
· If 'Truth is stranger than Fiction', as the saying goes, then being believable in story-writing may be more constrained than in real-life.
· Change of character. This isn't a contradiction of the first point. This is the 'good reason' referred to. The best stories are those in which the person at the end of the story is no longer the same as at the beginning. He or she has changed as a result of what has happened between the first and last pages.
· If you are a Christian writer, you may find some difficulty in trying to present your character as a real person in a secular market where Christianity can seem other-worldly. While you probably won't want to glorify the ugliness of ungodly characters, you do have to show the person as real. This takes some sensitivity, care and prayer.
The best thing to help you in your development of real characters is insight and observation. What makes you tick? What makes you jealous, angry or sorry for yourself? What makes you happy or sad? These emotions are universal, and while some people (or characters) have them under control better than others, everyone feels them to some degree. The individuality usually comes in how they are expressed, rather than the fact that they occur.
Education Articles1. Interior Design Course In Chennai
2. Software Testing Institute In Chennai
Author: Ganesh Kumar
3. I Owe My Success To The Top Engineering College; Jmit
Author: ponting brown
4. Pass Microsoft Dynamics 365 Mb6-895 Exam In First Attempt With Valid Mb6-895 Exam Questions
Author: Bella Henry
5. Study Mbbs In Ukraine- One-stop-place To Study Mbbs
Author: kamal sharma
6. Why 2013 Is The Year Of Php
7. Best Web Designing Tools (2018)
8. Take The Help Of College Counseling For Getting Admission Abroad
Author: Michelle andre
9. Aspiring To Study Abroad? Take Up The Pte First Before Applying For Student Visa
Author: Mia Seal
10. Engineering In Artificial Intelligence
Author: Gaurav Peshkar
11. How Pmp Training Program Is Beneficial For Your Career?
12. Best Digital Marketing Course In Hyderabad
Author: sai bhargav
13. How Nbfc Companies In Mumbai Is Changing Things For Student Loan:
Author: Eduvanz provides low cost, smart loans to finance
14. Common Mistakes A Graphic Designer Must Always Avoid...
Author: pankaj singh
15. Career Scope In Animation
Author: Visual Media