ALL >> Education >> View Article
5 Copywriting And Marketing Lessons From My First Business
Total Articles: 31
It's funny some the ideas you get from time spent in reflection.
I was recently reflecting about my time in my first business, a now defunct roof restoration company. I figure there are five pretty important lessons I learned back then that have helped shape me as a copywriter.
Lesson 1: If you don't sell you don't eat.
Probably the most important lesson you can learn in life. If you don't sell something nobody has any work to do so they can get paid. It has shaped my copywriting because I know every time I sit down at the keyboard to write I had better be selling
Lesson 2: You can make selling a numbers game.
If you have a winning formula, selling becomes a numbers game. I knew how many doors I had to knock on in order to get an appointment. I new how many appointments I needed to get a sale (they weren't good numbers at the time but I made them work.) And I knew how many sales I needed to keep the wolves from the door. Direct Marketing using powerful direct response copywriting works the same way as door knocking. You turn it into a numbers game without the painful grind.
Lesson 3: It is better to turn the game on its head than play 'according to their rules.'
Although I became proficient at the numbers game, I stumbled across a better one. I figured out how to use direct mail to generate leads and as a consequence increase my efficiency and my close rate. It is far easier to put $100 worth of letters in the mail and get a sale than to knock on a couple hundred doors (when you factor in the 'nobody home' houses) to get a sale.
Lesson 4: Copy is king.
I learned that having a good lead generating sales letter was the answer to my woes. A simple letter that is effective and can be deployed at will, can make you a lot of money.
Lesson 5: If I only had a marketing system to go with that brilliant copy.
What I learned later was that copy is a big piece of marketing but it is not the only piece. I did a lot of things right with that mailer. I did a lot of things wrong with it too. If I had of developed a marketing system then I could have made significantly more money than if I had of just used the letter
Education Articles1. Preparation For Study Abroad Programs
Author: National Institute of Building Technology Nashik
2. Spark And Scala Training In Hyderabad
3. Tips To Finish Ailet In Time
Author: vikas choudhary
4. Why Would You Opt For Diploma Courses After Graduation?
Author: Kunal Iyar
5. Web Development Tutorials For Beginners
Author: • A Real Time Software Training Institute 100% Gu
6. How Would You Choose The Best Institute For Executive Mba In India?
Author: Bhargav Himnshu
7. Understand All The Concepts Of Statistical Analysis System
8. Life Is Best In The Engineering Colleges
Author: ponting brown
9. Photography Courses In Delhi
10. Introduction Of Jqueryui
Author: Learn web designing course in Bangalore.Infocampus
11. To Beat A Hacker, You Need To Think Like A Hacker
12. How To Choose A Quality Gmat Prep Course Online?
Author: Dhiraj Goverdhanam
13. Taking Autism Care Services For Autistic Individuals Are Very Important!
Author: The Lizard Centre
14. Online Learning - An Easy Way To Become An Oracle Certified Professional
Author: Atul Kumar
15. Aims Institutes: Catering To The Educational Needs In Bangalore
Author: Shoeb Mannur