ALL >> Fashion-Costume >> View Article
Linen – A Natural Fabric
Total Articles: 211
Linen, world’s one of the oldest fabrics, is hugely popular amongst fashion connoisseurs of all ages. It is woven from the fibers of the Flax plant, Linum usitatissimum.
Here I have jotted down some of the facts that make linen a popular fabric.
1) Linen is a natural fabric. It’s biodegradable and recyclable.
2) It becomes softer with every wash.
3) It absorbs moisture very quickly. It can absorb up to 20 percent of its weight in moisture and retaining its dry feel. It’s probably one of the reasons why linen shirts are so comfortable to wear in the summers.
4) Linen is truly comfortable and easy to wear in every season. Due to its thermo regulatory properties, linen outfits can be worn during summers as well as winters. During summers, linen outfits are cool and comfortable and in winters they retain body heat and keep the wearer warm.
5) It is inherently anti-bacterial. Hence, it is considered as a healthy fabric.
6) Linen protects the skin from harmful UV rays and sun allergies, which is why during summers every fashion brand launches their collection of linen shirts for men.
7) It’s known as the thirstiest fabric. Its moisture absorption capacity is double than that of cotton.
8) Egyptians believed linen to be a holy fabric. It was used in holy ceremonies and was also used for mummification. It was the only fabric that was allowed inside temples.
9) It’s known for its high durability and strength. The tensile strength of linen is twice as that of cotton.
10) Linen clothes like linen shirts , trousers, and jackets do not accumulate static electricity.
11) Bed-ridden patients when they sleep on linen bedsheets don’t develop bed sores.
12) It’s virtually lint-free, non-static, non-allergenic and effectively deals with inflammatory conditions.
13) It’s believed that linen came to Ireland in early Christian era. St. Patrick, the patron Saint of Ireland, is buried in a shroud of linen.
14) Egyptians first discovered the flax plant. They had named the plant "woven moonlight" because of its unique beauty.
15) In ancient Celtic times, linen was spun in an anti-clockwise direction. It was believed that this brought the weaver good fortune.
16) In the first part of the 20th century, a white linen handkerchief completed a well-suited man’s ensemble.
17) It has a high natural luster.
18) Egyptians wore only white linen because it prevented them from extreme heat.
19) Apart from linen clothes, table clothes, bed sheets, pillow covers are also found in linen.
20) Designers simply love this fabric. According to Ritu Kumar, a famous fashion designer from India, “Linen is a very beautiful fabric.The nature of the fabric gives it this permanent crushed and slubby look and it does not look like any other man made fabric you get. I love wearing Linen in the summer and I have a wardrobe full of clothes made from this Gift of God . it is wonderful for tunics and has a very sophisticated look.”
Fashion/Costume Articles1. Make It A Post Valentine’s Engagement
Author: Olivia E Shoemaker
2. Essential Items That Powerful Businesswomen Must Have In Their Wardrobe
Author: Ashish Malik
3. Do You Need A New Style Fashion Consultant?
Author: Scott Wolstein
4. 6 Tips And Tricks For Unique Mother's Day Gift Buying
Author: Annie Reh
5. 3 Dazzling Dresses That Make Your 30-something Bridesmaids Look Like A Million Bucks
Author: Jane Wang
6. Buy Xxxl T Shirts Online In India
Author: Prashant Shrivastav
7. Casio G-shock Analog Digital Ga-110dc-2a Men’s Watch
Author: Jasson C
8. Why Shoe Trees Are Essential For Your Blucher Shoe Care
Author: Dan Zapatka
9. Commonly Faced Issues In The Fashion Industry
Author: Olivia James
10. Fashion Designing Course In Chennai
Author: Ganesh Kumar
11. Set Out For Party With These Fashion Tips – Men’s Fashion Guide
Author: Anshul Mewade
12. Quelled Earrings - Fancy Yet Light On Your Lobes
Author: Stylofi Fashion
13. Fashion Designing Institute In Chennai
Author: Ganesh Kumar
14. Green Wall In Delhi Ncr
15. Citizen Eco-drive Chronograph Ca0285-01e Mens Watch : Sharp, Simple And Spectacular
Author: Jasson C