ALL >> Business >> View Article
Conclusion: Understanding Discourse On Globalizing English
Total Articles: 116
A major effect of the globalizing function of English is the integration and use of anglicisms in various language-cultural areas. Such usage gives rise to different reactions among speakers ranging from attraction to repulsion. According to the central ideal of objectivity in science, linguists, on the other hand, usually strike an observant, descriptive, and generally unemotional tone when it comes to the assessment of English influence. On the background of this duality in discourse Vibram Five Fingers Shoes between public and academic opinions, this case study has taken up the issue on how discourse on the use of anglicisms is conceptually structured in the context of English influence on German.
The analysis of primary conceptualizations of language emphasizes the basic divide between language as a closed and static entity vs. an open and fluctuating system. While language is generally understood as a bounded entity, academic models of language and contact emphasize speaker-internal boundedness and speaker-external, social boundedness. Laymen descriptions of languages and contact, on the other hand, favour more concrete physical imagery. In this sense, purist imagery draws on conceptual metaphors that emphasize aspects of destruction, impurity, danger, and carelessness. Accordingly, anglicisms are metaphorized as causing sickness, destruction, and demise of German. Utilizing largely the same general conceptual metaphors, non-purist opinions, by contrast, are based on specific metaphoric mappings that stress the power of the German language and the aspect of care-giving.
In order to shed more light on the conceptualizations of English influence on German, the scope of the present study would have to be extended considerably to larger samples of public discourse. Despite that, this investigation indicates that for understanding the current influence of English on a global scale, it is not only important to research its linguistic effects but also to focus on its reception in the diverse speech communities. Comprehending the metaphoric Five Fingers KSO conceptualizations that lie beneath diverse opinions on the use of English in other languages appears as a necessary step towards increasing a language user's sensibility for the application and effects of discursive imagery, and, as such, it could help to foster mutual understanding between academic and public views on the issue.
Business Articles1. Are You Looking For Instant Setup Of Hushmail Account On Iphone?
2. Industrial Portable Fans Are Designed To Keep The Work Place Safe!
Author: Mark Pingler
3. Business Coaching As A Valuable Asset For You And Your Business
Author: Ian Marsh
4. How To Make Gst Tax Invoice? Which Gst Software One Should Use?
Author: Sagar Gore
5. Easy Guide To Get The Best Custom Optical Filters
Author: Lee wood
6. Movers Services In Dubai, Movers And Packers Company In Dubai, Moving And Shifting Company In Dubai
7. Web Design And Seo Service Company
8. Fast & Reliable Onsite Computer Services
9. Coated Fabrics Market Size To Grow Over $22.57 Billion By 2020
Author: Gomez R
10. Carpet Cleaning And Upholstery Cleaning
11. Carpet Cleaning Services In Sherman Oaks
12. Cheap Carpet Steam Cleaning
13. The Provision Of These Loans Empowers You To Take Out Quick Cash
Author: Jack martin
14. Bearings Market Size Projected To Grow Over $110 Million By 2024
Author: Gomez R
15. Free Classifieds India