ALL >> Business >> View Article
A Beat Aesthetic
Total Articles: 116
Kerouac's long autobiographical oeuvre, which the author himself called "the legend of Duluoz," did not make me want to become a teacherâ€”or an English professor, or educator, or even a Beat writer. Rather, his books spurred me, as they did so many others, to travel across the United States, with eyes wide open to Something Else.
And when I studied in Germany, in the late 1970s, and hitchhiked throughout Europe, I encountered fellow travelersâ€”German, French, and Scandinavian studentsâ€” who carried their own cheap paperback editions, in English, of On the Road and The Dharma Bums. I read through Kerouac into my early 20s but entertained no illusions about copying a Beat lifestyle: even the hippie era looked long gone by 1980. Nevertheless, Kerouac's books, unlike the mad poetry of Ginsberg and Corso and the terrifying science fiction of Burroughs, remained simple pleasures. I read Running Shoes and reread them for fun. This was surely "aesthetic reading," according to Louise M. Rosenblatt. Yet as I edged, or plunged, into middle age, I wanted to see if the experience of reading Kerouac still held the possibility of joy for US teenagers. So many aspects of the Beat ethos had already been, at best, recycled and, too many of us older folks, co-opted by the media, e.g., a Gap ad featuring Jack Kerouac wearing chinos.
When I had first shown my summer assignment letter to the school's principal, she paused, raised her eyebrows, and said, "OK. You think Kerouac has merit?" I responded by pointing to the book's improved reputation in scholarly circles. There had been a late 1990s symposium on Kerouac at NYU, and a passage from the book had been used on the previous spring's SAT. (When students first informed me of this testing passage I told them I was uneasy: the spirits behind the story were all dying.) The principal was less than impressed, and I knew she knew I had different motives for teaching this book. In short, I wanted some adolescents to read an important but untraditional and typically unacademic book, while they were still adolescents, at the beginning of the millennium. So I promised her that I would develop a unit plan that integrated sociology class lessons and that would include an exam, some historical digging, much poetry, and short-story writing Womens Shoes around the photos of Robert Frank's The Americans. I proposed to end our "unit" on Fifties America and the Beats with a daylong read-aloud marathon of On the Road.
Business Articles1. Development Of Chinese Magnesium Oxide Enters Acceleration Period
Author: hu Allen
2. Indian Crafts - C Table Dealer
Author: Mukesh Tiwari
3. All You Need To Know About Ppgi Coil
4. How Can Solar Energy Be Used Effectively And How To Install Solar Power At Home?
5. 11 Things That The Receipt Management Software Can Do And Its Growing Acceptability Among Retailers
Author: Caramel POS
6. Tensile Structure For Hotel – Which Is The Best Material For Them?
Author: Tensile Architecture
7. Seo Company In Coimbatore
Author: suvagar suva
8. Opportunities For The Global Vinyl Flooring Market To Reach $16.2 Billion By 2023
9. Rubber Floor Mats Manufacturing
Author: James Matt
10. Choose Reliable Easton Orthodontist Treatment
Author: Exeter Orthodontics
11. Organic Spices And Herbs - Keep Them Fresh
Author: Jason Mckinstry
12. Commercial Steel Buildings Are Best For Business
Author: Arnold Shawn
13. All That May Possibly Be Increasing The Bounce Rate Of Your Business Website!
Author: Surabhi Joshi
14. A Contractor Can Build Homes And Businesses
Author: Arnold Shawn
15. Av Universal- Top Event Management Company In Va Helping You Making Your Events Better