ALL >> Business >> View Article
Total Articles: 116
I have a weakness for students who are bulldogs. They latch onto a bone of knowledge and gnaw away until they learn all they can. A bulldog student is the one I confer with about an essay she's writing that's giving her problems. I listen, tell what I understand, and ask questions about what I don't. We talk. Three days later she brings in a revision in which she has done things with language and thinking neither of us thought of during our conference.
In his never-more-relevant book, Amusing Ourselves to Death, Neil Postman maintains that students expect to be entertained. This expectation, he argues, militates against their achieving substantive thinking. He blames Tag Heuer Replica Watches popular media, which insists on brevity, sound bites, and surface understanding, instead of depth, analysis, and complex, nuanced thinking.
Students who wait passively to be entertained do not develop tenacious learning habits. They are not inclined to gnaw. They want to be fed. To want to learn, students don't need games. They don't need "fun" videos so they won't be bored. They don't need candy rewards. They need meaningful work. They need to see value in it so motivation becomes intrinsic. Academic demands will arise for which they'll need to be Bulldog Learners, or they won't succeed.
When I was a teenager, I cleaned my father's tavern every Sunday morning. I worked my broom and mop to and fro, scrubbing beneath barstools and booths, where customers spilled beverages that dried black and sticky. Every three weeks, after the sweeping and mopping, I waxed the floor, a process requiring patience and pains. I disliked rising early on Sunday morning to work in the silent bar. But I knew I had to get to the work and do it well so the rest of the day was mine. My back ached from bending over. I broke a light sweat. I had to examine my work so I didn't miss anything. Even with all that, I learned, to my surprise, to take satisfaction from the rhythms and results of the work.
In writing about her students' study of Tag Heuer Carrera Replica classical literature, Carol Jago writes, "When the bell rings, I want students to leave class tired, exhausted from how well they have exercised their minds, yet happy about all they have accomplished".
Business Articles1. Top Reasons To Buy A Lamborghini Aventador Super Car
Author: Jason Jones
2. What Are The Most Common Carpet Stains At Your Oahu Home?
3. Our Mission - Cjs Haritha Homes
4. The Shared Fibers Wallet In-depth Review
Author: Lao Yutang
5. The Worst Things About Orlando Wedding Photography That Budding Wedding Photographers Must Take Into
Author: Vikram Kumar
6. Get The Right Ceo Mailing Lists For Your B2b Targeted Marketing
Author: germany email datasupply
7. Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning In Newport Beach
8. Meishen Hold A Contest Of Tug-of-war
Author: hu Allen
9. Avail Budget Interior Designers In Bangalore For Best Services
10. Looking For Quality Dietitian Leads To Grow Your Business? Switch To Averickmedia
Author: Andrew Rayel
11. Buy Most Noteworthy Quality Upvc Item On-line
Author: sandip m
12. Burnerindo Teknik Utama
13. Huge Profits In Carpet Cleaning Business
14. Tips For Buying Shin Pads For Kids
Author: Sahah Chan
15. High-quality Yet Affordable Plumbing Services In Durban
Author: Donald Frank