ALL >> Business >> View Article
Disappears From The Face Of The Earth Forever
Total Articles: 191
Looking beyond the 10-year period, the botanists estimated that some 3 000 native plant species may become extinct in the foreseeable future â€” more than 10 percent of the approximately 25 000 species of plants in the United States.
The situation is the same or worse in most other parts of the world. It is estimated that about 20 percent of the Earth's approximately 300 000 plant species are in danger. Most of these plants are in the tropical rain forests that are being cut down, and many have Replica Tag Heuer Watches not even been identified yet.
Why is extinction imminent for so many US species? The main reason is the destruction of habitats. This destruction is caused, especially in the eastern United States, by land development, such as the construction of shopping malls and housing tracts. In the western states, the poor management of public lands has been a critical factor. There, many habitats have been destroyed by the spread of exotic plant species. For example, June grasses, which was introduced from Europe in the late 1800s, has invaded hundreds of square kilometers of Western lands, pushing out some native species of grass that are less able to compete for the usually scarce moisture.
Public apathy has also contributed to the problem. Americans have rallied to the cause of endangered animals such as whooping cranes and African elephants, but they seem unconcerned about endangered plants. Perhaps they consider wild animals to be public property, but plants are the property of the owner of the land on which they grow.
The consequences of habitat destruction are often most serious in the tropics and sub-tropics. Those regions have a much greater number of plant species than that are found in cooler climates. And many species grow in only a small area, increasing the probability of their being wiped out. It is not surprising, therefore, that nearly 75 per cent of the 680 species on the most-endangered list are located in just four states and Puerto Rico. Hawaii has 21 per cent; Texas, 12.2 per cent; Florida, 10.6 per cent; and Puerto Rico, 10.1 per cent. But nearly all of the 50 states have at least a few native plants that Breitling Replica are among those facing extinction.
Saving endangered plants is important for several reasons. Among those plants, there may be some that produce substances that could be of value in making medicines. Others might possess genetic traits that could be used to improve crop plants. We might also find that some plants are worth growing for their own sake â€” as food or perhaps for the oils in their seeds. But beyond such practical applications, there is a sense of loss when any species â€” a plant as much as an animal â€” disappears from the face of the Earth forever.
Business Articles1. Eglobedata Released Most Accurate Real Estate Industry Email List And Build New Revenue Streams
Author: Brayden Tyler
2. Switch To Pharmacists Email List For Getting Cost Effective And Good Return
Author: Andrew Rayel
3. Explore An Opportunity For New Business Prospects With Business Development Executives Email Lists
Author: Charles Daniel
4. Ideal Instrument Services Are The Leading Dealer And Distributor Of Mitutoyo Products In Pune
Author: biz porto
5. Landed House Exterior Contractor – A Preferred Landed Property Renovation Contractor Singapore Can S
Author: James Han
6. Why You May Need A Photobooth On Your Big Day
7. Carpet Styles
Author: Barry’s My Carpet Inc.
8. Trade Show Display Rental- All You Require For Incredible Brand Value
Author: Daniel Wilson
9. Scada Free – Access Data From Remote Location Easily With The Help Of Web Scada !
Author: Archer Finch
10. Try A Herding Class With Your Dog Part - I
Author: Unknown Member
11. Documentation Of Employee Discussions Is All Important
Author: NetZealous LLC, DBA TrainHR
12. Try A Herding Class With Your Dog
Author: Unknown Member
13. Best Scar Removal Creams
14. Why Should You Hire Huntington Beach Dry Cleansing Service Provider?
Author: Robert Paul
15. Rajasthan College Of Engineering For Women
Author: Rajasthan College of Engineering for Women