ALL >> Health >> View Article
Everything About Vitamin B12
Total Articles: 9
What is vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 is a part of B complex group of vitamins. Like all other B vitamins, vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. It is the largest and most structurally complicated vitamin. It is naturally found in animal-based food products. Many other food products are fortified with this vitamin.
Functions of vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 does a lot of things for your body like:
It helps make your DNA.
Helps in the synthesis of red blood cells.
It provides support to the body’s neurological functions.
It is required for folic acid absorption.
It helps release energy for cell functioning.
It is required for the formation of proteins and lipids.
It protects brain health.
See, vitamin B12 is such an important vitamin for your body. Imagine what would the deficiency of this vitamin do to your body. Look out for the symptoms and get yourself checked regularly.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency
Sleepiness during the day
Shortness of breath
Numbness or tingling sensations
These are a few of the symptoms that you should look out for.
Why do you get vitamin B12 deficiency?
Vitamin B12 is required in very small quantities by your body. An average adult needs only 2.4 mcg of vitamin B12. Still many are deficient in this vitamin. Why?
Following are the causes of vitamin B12 deficiency:
Pernicious anaemia. This is the most common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency. It is an auto-immune condition caused by a lack of a protein called intrinsic factor that’s needed to absorb vitamin B12 from food.
Celiac disease or gluten intolerance
Thinning of the stomach lining
Malabsorption is a major cause of vitamin B12 deficiency. Having a healthy intestinal flora is very important for proper absorption of vitamin B12. A bad lifestyle affects the intestinal flora negatively. When your meal times and sleep are erratic, the digestion is the first thing to get affected. Once the digestion is affected, the absorption of vitamins and minerals get negatively affected. So a healthy lifestyle is a must for the proper absorption of vitamins and minerals.
Sources of vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is majorly found in animal-based foods. So does this mean that vegetarians are doomed t be deficient? The answer is Yes and No.
Yes, because there are not many vegetarian sources of this vitamin.
No, because you can include curd in your everyday diet for a dose of vitamin B12. You can also have fortified foods like fortified breakfast cereals in your diet. In consultation with your doctor, you can take supplements for vitamin B12.
Vegans need to be more careful as they don’t even consume dairy. They should reach out for fortified almond, coconut and soy milk. They may also require supplementation.
I am sure that now there is clarity on vitamin B12. Keep an eye on the symptoms and go for regular checkups. You will be good
Health Articles1. What Is Postherpetic Neuralgia?
Author: Mahesh Singh
2. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? 5 Causes Of Pain During Urination In Men
Author: John Dugan
3. Tips When Using An Organic Baby Formula
4. How To Know About The Benefits Of Invisalign For The Professional In Mesquite?
Author: Scott Pamela
5. Important Things To Know Before Getting Braces
Author: Steve Michale
6. How To Know About Top Facts On Braces & Orthodontists In Poway?
Author: Thomas Adler
7. What Is The Biofeedback Certification Institute Of America?
Author: Harry Campbell
8. How To Know About The Importance Of Orthodontists To The Present Generation In Albion?
Author: Christophers Nolan
9. Drug And Alcohol Policies Are For Companies Of All Sizes
10. The Right Decision To Choose An Orthodontist
Author: Joseph Walker
11. Wisdom Teeth Removal - Faqs
Author: Charlie Wellish
12. Epidemiology Overview - Best Williams Syndrome Treatment In Bangalore | Capaar
Author: Sumitha Hemavathy
13. How To Know The Factors To Consider In Choosing The Right Orthodontic Clinic In Maricopa?
Author: Milton Raul
14. Understanding The Three Different Types Of Hair Transplant
Author: Rashi Aggarwal
15. How To Know Important Things To Know About Getting Invisalign In Detroit?
Author: Jerry Lewis