ALL >> Health >> View Article
Does Bariatric Surgery For Obesity Reduce The Risk Of Melanoma?
Total Articles: 3
Obesity is not just about the extra pounds, but its complications go far beyond what you can foresee. Would you have ever imagined that all the unwanted fats in your body could lead to a deadly skin disease? Melanoma is a very rare form of skin cancer but has life-threatening consequences because of its ability to spread across the body rapidly. As per the American Cancer Society, looking at the growing rate of this skin cancer, about 91,270 individuals will be diagnosed with melanoma in 2018, out of which 10,000 people are expected to lose their lives. And being overweight is clearly linked with an increased risk of developing different types of cancer, including melanoma.
Let’s look at some of the mechanisms that increase the risk of cancer in individuals due to weight gain. The excess fats in your body:
• Disrupt the immune system and cause inflammation.
• Trigger hormonal imbalance, such as estrogen and insulin.
• Affect the growth and functioning of body cells.
Even though studies indicating a direct link between obesity and melanoma are limited, it has been shownthat intentional weight loss can reduce the risk of malignant melanoma. Which means that the benefits of undergoing bariatric surgery for obesity go beyond just being able to shed extra pounds. In fact, a recent research presentedat the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna proved that weight loss has been linked to a 42% decrease in the overall skin cancer risk.
Researchers chose 2007 obese study participants from Sweden who were willing to undergobariatric surgery for obesity and followed up for a median of 18 years. These subjects were compared to a group of 2040 obese Swedish individuals who were similar to the surgical patients in terms of gender, age, body statistics, psychological variables, cardiovascular risk factors, personality traits, etc. but who did not wish to undergo a surgical treatment for weight loss.
The results noted a significant decrease in the risk of melanoma and other types of skin cancer in individuals who chose weight loss surgery as opposed to those who proceeded with obesity care techniques. As per the research findings,
• 12 people were diagnosed with melanoma from the surgery group and 29 people from the non-surgical group.
• 23 individuals who underwent weight loss surgery developed other types of skin cancer, while 41 cases of skin cancer were recorded from the non-surgical batch.
This makes it evident that weight loss surgery can significantly contribute towards lowering the risk of melanoma or any other type of skin cancer. These days, single-incision laparoscopic surgeryis becoming exceedingly popular. Even the best cancer treatment center makes use of this revolutionary surgical technique. And the same approach is applied in bariatric science. Most bariatric surgeries follow the laparoscopic technique to simplify the process for, both patients and surgeons. The method reduces the recovery time of the patients, allowing them to return to normalcy much sooner.Which is why most people view bariatric surgery as a logical solution for weight loss and a means to curb the risk of life-threatening health conditions.
Health Articles1. The Aging Member And “manopause”: What Every Man Needs To Know
Author: John Dugan
2. Specialization In Sports By Youth & Orthopaedic Risks | Best Sports Medicine Doctor In Bangalore
3. How To Know The Most Important Thing To Look For When Choosing An Orthodontist?
Author: Morry Weiss
4. Order Ambien 10mg Online Cod For Sleep Disorder
Author: Ambien Online
5. Use An Android App For Online Doctors And Get Treated At Home!
Author: Abigail Kane
6. 5 Fun Learning Activities For Your Child With Autism | Centre For Autism In Bangalore
7. What Is Online Diazepam Generic (valium 10 Mg, 5 Mg) Cheap Prices?
Author: What is online Diazepam generic (Valium 10 mg, 5
8. Best Dental Clinic In Ranchi, Orthodontists In Ranchi - Dr. Narnoly's Dental Clinic
Author: narnoly dental
9. Everything That You Should Know About Dental Implant Surgery
Author: Dental Implantologist
10. Advantages Of A Pediatrician Over A Family Doctor
Author: Dexter Brown
11. Three Ways To Reduce Back Pain
Author: Leslie Trigg
12. What Is Sperm Freezing And What Is Its Importance?
Author: Rohini Devi
13. The Ultimate Guide - Drinking Protein Powder!
Author: Namit Malgaonkar
14. A Self-pleasuring Club: What To Expect
Author: John Dugan
15. True Motivation To Lose Weight