ALL >> Health >> View Article
Does Bariatric Surgery For Obesity Reduce The Risk Of Melanoma?
Total Articles: 3
Obesity is not just about the extra pounds, but its complications go far beyond what you can foresee. Would you have ever imagined that all the unwanted fats in your body could lead to a deadly skin disease? Melanoma is a very rare form of skin cancer but has life-threatening consequences because of its ability to spread across the body rapidly. As per the American Cancer Society, looking at the growing rate of this skin cancer, about 91,270 individuals will be diagnosed with melanoma in 2018, out of which 10,000 people are expected to lose their lives. And being overweight is clearly linked with an increased risk of developing different types of cancer, including melanoma.
Let’s look at some of the mechanisms that increase the risk of cancer in individuals due to weight gain. The excess fats in your body:
• Disrupt the immune system and cause inflammation.
• Trigger hormonal imbalance, such as estrogen and insulin.
• Affect the growth and functioning of body cells.
Even though studies indicating a direct link between obesity and melanoma are limited, it has been shownthat intentional weight loss can reduce the risk of malignant melanoma. Which means that the benefits of undergoing bariatric surgery for obesity go beyond just being able to shed extra pounds. In fact, a recent research presentedat the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna proved that weight loss has been linked to a 42% decrease in the overall skin cancer risk.
Researchers chose 2007 obese study participants from Sweden who were willing to undergobariatric surgery for obesity and followed up for a median of 18 years. These subjects were compared to a group of 2040 obese Swedish individuals who were similar to the surgical patients in terms of gender, age, body statistics, psychological variables, cardiovascular risk factors, personality traits, etc. but who did not wish to undergo a surgical treatment for weight loss.
The results noted a significant decrease in the risk of melanoma and other types of skin cancer in individuals who chose weight loss surgery as opposed to those who proceeded with obesity care techniques. As per the research findings,
• 12 people were diagnosed with melanoma from the surgery group and 29 people from the non-surgical group.
• 23 individuals who underwent weight loss surgery developed other types of skin cancer, while 41 cases of skin cancer were recorded from the non-surgical batch.
This makes it evident that weight loss surgery can significantly contribute towards lowering the risk of melanoma or any other type of skin cancer. These days, single-incision laparoscopic surgeryis becoming exceedingly popular. Even the best cancer treatment center makes use of this revolutionary surgical technique. And the same approach is applied in bariatric science. Most bariatric surgeries follow the laparoscopic technique to simplify the process for, both patients and surgeons. The method reduces the recovery time of the patients, allowing them to return to normalcy much sooner.Which is why most people view bariatric surgery as a logical solution for weight loss and a means to curb the risk of life-threatening health conditions.
Health Articles1. What All You Need To Know About Spondylosis?
Author: Mahesh Singh
2. Why You Should Select Human Instant Weaves?
3. Unique Ways To Wear Your Lace Wigs
4. Flip Flops
Author: Unknown Member
5. Natural Factors Canada Supplements: How To Improve Your Sleeping Pattern
Author: Nancy Smith
6. 8 Dry Male Organ Skin Solutions To Try
Author: John Dugan
7. How To Choose The Best Water Purifier For Home
Author: Ramesh Chandra
8. Hospital Chairs And Furnitures Manufacturer
Author: Utopia Aire Pte Ltd
9. Best Ent Specialists And Hospitals In India
10. Instant And Effective Iv Vitamin Drips
11. Buy Unifibe Products Online At Best Prices On Retail Pharma India
Author: Bella Johan
12. Something Smells Down There: 6 Causes And Solutions For Odor On The Male Organ
Author: John Dugan
13. Know About Skin Care This Season!
Author: Sonali Shinde
14. The Itching Member: What To Do Now To Stop It
Author: John Dugan
15. Benefits Of Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements-retailpharma
Author: John Christian