ALL >> Health >> View Article
Sleeve Gastrectomy- A Standalone Bariatric Surgery For Obesity
Total Articles: 3
Sleeve gastrectomy is a weight loss procedure that involves restricting the food intake. In this procedure, a part of the stomach producing hormone ghrelin (which stimulates the feeling of hunger) is removed, which restricts the amount of food to be eaten.
The procedure is mostly performed laparoscopically and the surgeon removes almost 75-85 percent of the stomach. The stomach after surgery, takes a shape of a sleeve or a tube, which holds very less food. Earlier this procedure was performed as the 1st out of the two weight loss procedures. Looking at the immense success with weight loss, now it is the destination procedure for obese people with a BMI greater than 40. As observed by the best weight loss surgeon in India the patient is seen to lose sufficient weight with sleeve gastrectomy and does not require a second procedure for weight loss.
The patient undergoing the procedure is anesthetized. It is a laparoscopic procedure and involves five to six small incisions on the abdomen from where the laparoscope and the instruments are inserted. The surgeon then begins by removing 80-85 percent of the stomach. The sides of the stomach (except the two sphincters) are then stapled leaving it in a shape of a tube or a sleeve. After confirming that there is no leakage present the instruments are withdrawn and the incised areas are sutured and taped.
Though it is a laparoscopic procedure, the surgeon can anytime convert it into an open procedure if the condition of the patient demands. The surgery takes around one or two hours and the patient might have to stay in the hospital for around 2 days.
After the surgery, the patient is given liquid food and later on pureed food and shakes till 4 weeks.
After 1st-month solid food can be started but has to be fully chewed. Avoid drinking too much water as it might overfill the stomach. High-calorie food and soda should be avoided. Multivitamins are prescribed to be taken every day.
After 2-3 months the patient can shift on to the regular meals but will not be able to eat as much as he used to, due to the reduced stomach size.
Most people lose 60 percent of weight after sleeve gastrectomy, but the percentage may vary in every individual. Although the procedure does the maximum job, regular exercise and eating right is the patient’s job to maintain the weight loss and enjoy it for long-term says a best weight loss surgeon in India. The patient tends to gain weight if he consumes a large quantity of food which stretches the pouch (stomach).
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy Procedure
• Sleeve gastrectomy is a simple procedure and the recovery time is fast with very few complications. There is no vitamin deficiency as the gastrointestinal tract is not changed as done in other bariatric surgeries.
• The part of the stomach producing the hunger hormone (ghrelin) is removed. This leads to a reduction in the hunger levels thus reducing the food intake. The surgery also leads to the reduction in the volume of the stomach, giving a person a feeling of fullness with a small meal.
• After the surgery, the stomach functions normally and the patient can enjoy their most favorite food with no worries. As there is no band planted in the body the need not worry about the foreign bodies.
• The malnutrition risk suffered by the people undergoing other bariatric surgery is absent in sleeve gastrectomy, the body absorbs the nutrients similarly as it did prior to the surgery.
Sleeve gastrectomy is a standalone bariatric operation which is safe and effective. A best doctor sleeve surgery Delhi says, this surgery induces improvement in comorbidity of all the patients thus decreasing the medicine intake, and therefore is the best option.
Health Articles1. Sensory Integration|best Pediatric Physiotherapists In Hulimavu,bangalore
Author: Sumitha Hemavathy
2. Everything About Vitamin B12
Author: DR. Sarika Nair
3. Modafinil Tablets Boost Executive Functions
Author: Lewis Paul
4. The Significance Of Dental Care To Your Overall Health
Author: Donnell Nash
5. Can Counselling Get You Out Of A Bad Relationship?
Author: Richard Gosling
6. 6 Herbal Extracts That Treat Daily Health Concerns Naturally
Author: Quantum Naturals
7. Tips For Ivf Success By Dr Shivani Sachdev Gour
8. Pros And Cons Of Plastic Surgery
Author: Kelly Sanchez
9. How To Know The Effect Of The Invisalign Treatment?
Author: Joseph Donald
10. Heart: Care For It And Live Longer
11. How To Find The Perfect Orthodontist In Lafayette?
Author: Thomas Mark
12. Chose The Best In Orthopedic
Author: Sandeep Tomar
13. How Effective Are The Lung Test Devices And How Can It Keep You Healthy?
Author: Natasha Adhikary
14. The Best Cardiologists In India: Dr Naresh Trehan & Dr Ashok Seth
Author: Medical Services of India
15. Why You Should Go For Fermenting Foods And Vegetables
Author: Kriben Govender