ALL >> Travel >> View Article
4 Historical Sights In Izmir That Are Worth Visiting
Total Articles: 9
Summary- Proudly liberal and deeply cultured, Izmir is a popular destination among the tourists with plenty of historical sights. Read on to know more about the places you must visit when here:
Discovered by the Greeks, Izmir is a beautiful city on Turkey`s Aegean coast. Known as Smyrna in antiquity, Izmir is garlanded around the azure-blue Bay of Izmir. The city became a part of Ottoman Empire, but before that it was taken over by the Romans and was rebuilt by their emperor Alexander the Great. The city has a seafront promenade which is as lively and famous as the city`s scintillating architectures.
Izmir`s fascinating heritage reflects the truth that it has been the home of Armenians, Greeks, Turks and Levantines over the centuries. More and more European travelers are now heading to this wonderful city as there is London to Izmir non-stop flights with cheapest fares. Here are some of the best sights to see in and around Izmir:
One of the best preserved remains of the ancient city of Izmir, Agora, is also an open theatre museum. Located centrally, it was used for assemblies and markets in ancient Greece. This ancient site continues to amaze with its cisterns, basilicas and stone arches dating from the end of 4th century BCE.
KEMERALTI MARKET & KIZLARAGASI HANI
Pay a visit to Kemeralti Market for a unique experience is a must. Once there you will be welcomed by hidden courtyards, colorful shops and narrow side streets along with city`s few remaining synagogues that will have you marvel at their impeccable construction and unmatched beauty. Witness Kizlaragasi Hani inside the market which is an 18th century old caravanserai. Although caravans no longer no long arrive to unload the goods, the Hani still emancipates historical atmosphere featuring some of the city`s best souvenir, handicraft and carpet shops in the courtyard.
If you want to witness some of the best preserved ruins from the Greek-era, Izmir is the place to be. The former capital of the Attalid Dynasty, Pergamon is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This amazing site has an open theatre, tumuli, stoa, gymnasium and city walls along with Kybele Sanctuary. The city came under the rule of Roman Empire in 133 BCE, it became the capital of Roman Province of Asia. The Pergamon has a healing center with a sacred spring as well as one of the largest libraries.
A visit to world famous ancient Greek city of Ephesus is a must. Showcasing the artistic structure of 10th century, when the city flourished under the Roman Republic, you can see Library of Celsus, Temple of Artemis, the Odeon and the temple of Sebastoi.
Make sure you book your tickets from London to Izmir in advance as to make sure you do not miss out on stunning historical sites. If you hail from Europe and hold a European Passport, you can simply book tickets. Visit our website www.flightsnfare.co.uk to book cheapest flights from London to Izmir non-stop flights.
Travel Articles1. Numerous Benefits Of Hiring Dfw Airport Taxi Or Shuttle Service In Texas!
Author: Shaik Hossain
2. Guided Tours To The Magical Hobbiton From Tauranga
Author: Roger Simister
3. How To Enjoy Great Facilities With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Daisy Wilkinson
4. Stylish Rides And Low Prices With Limousine Washington Dc
Author: Stylish rides and low prices with Limousine Washin
5. Plan Your Vacation To Luton Airport- Hire Great Britain Cars
Author: jack pero
6. Rajasthan’s Top Tourist Attractions To Visit In Summer Season
Author: Swati Jain
7. Travel The Unforgettable Experience Of Africa’s Amazing Botswana And Serengeti Balloon Safaris
Author: Ombeni African Safari
8. Top Places That Compel A Solo Explorer To Travel In India
Author: Aura Voyages
9. Latin America Tourism Is Booming And Tour Operator Offers The Best Advice To Get The Most Of It!
Author: Anna Avanesova
10. Book Your Hoi An Hotel From Us
Author: Ms. Emma Tran
11. Enjoy A Variety Of Benefits With All Inclusive Holidays
Author: Amanda Sutcliffe
12. 4 Things That You Can Only Buy In Turkey
13. Get Married In San Antonio With A Wedding Party Bus San Antonio
Author: Cheap Limo Service DC
14. 3 Quirkiest Bars In Melbourne That Are Straight Out Of Your Dreams
15. Wedding Guest Transportation In Phoenix Charter Bus Rental
Author: Hire Charter Bus