ALL >> Automobiles >> View Article
Deconstructing The Vin On Vw Used Cars
Total Articles: 6
Perth drivers are often faced with an overwhelming choice of used cars. However, one of the most daunting prospects is understanding the history of a used car and whether the used Volkswagen for sale has a genuine providence. The primary purpose of a Vehicle Identification number is to deter thieves, so here we will explore how to deconstruct the VIN and minimise the risk of buying a stolen car.
The VIN Basics
The VIN or Vehicle Identification Number is a unique serial number allocated to every car registered and sold around the world, including here in Australia. In the past, the VIN was printed on a plate in the engine bay, but in recent years manufacturers have started to etch the VIN on the glass and etch it onto body panels. This means that it is no longer as simple as transferring the plate from a damaged car onto a stolen car to change its identity. As the VIN is located throughout the vehicle, even if the car is fire damaged, the number will still be found to identify it.
Decoding the VIN
A VIN is 17 alphanumeric characters, and while these characters may appear random, they provide a unique DNA for your vehicle. The number needs to be so complex and long, as there are millions of vehicles around the world and no combination is duplicated.
The first three characters denote the manufacturer and home country of production. Although many VW used cars Perth drivers may consider may not have been manufactured in Europe, since the company’s head office is in Germany, all Volkswagen models have a VIN starting with W.
The next six characters use an internal manufacturer code to describe the specific vehicle. So, it may reflect that the vehicle is a Golf TDI in silver.
The 10th and 11th numbers tend to show the year of manufacturer and can sometimes be an authenticity verification sequence.
The final characters are used to describe the specific vehicle. This can include details such as body shape, engine size, transmission and other details to this exact vehicle.
Using the VIN When Shopping for Volkswagen Used Cars
Although it is not likely that you will be attempting to decode the VIN on any used car you view, it can still be a useful tool. If you’re seriously considering a used Volkswagen for sale, check the VIN printed on the panel in the engine bay matches the sequence etched on to the windows and windscreen. If the number doesn’t match, walk away as this is a suspect vehicle. Of course, checking the VIN is no substitute for shopping with a reputable car dealer, but it’s nice to know you can perform your own little checks to ensure you don’t buy a dud.
If you are thinking about a used VW for sale, Perth drivers should call in and see us. We not only have the latest new VW models, but also an extensive range of VW used cars. The Mandurah VW team would be delighted to answer any queries and help you to find your ideal next vehicle.
Automobiles Articles1. Increasingly Stringent Fuel Efficiency Norms To Drive The Demand For Electronically Assisted Steeri
2. Advanced Technology And Growth Of The Automotive Industry Will Drive The Automotive Engine Market
3. How To Choose The Best Place To Undertake Your Car Repair?
Author: James Johnson
4. Air Pressure In Tyres-impact On Driving
Author: BK Vijay
5. Considerations To Keep In Mind Before Buying A Lube Truck For Your Business
Author: Scott Lee
6. Taking Advantage Of The Skoda Deals
Author: Daniel Skoda
7. Buying Bridgewater Cars On Sale - Bridgewater Car Sales
Author: Bridgewater Nissan
8. The Roller Conveyor Type Leads The Conveyor System Market In Food & Beverage Industry
9. Lighting To Be The Largest Application Segment Of The Glazing By Polycarbonate Material Market
10. Technological Advancements & The Growth Of The Automotive Industry Are Expected To Drive The Vehicl
11. Get An Airport Shuttle Service When You Are In A Hurry To Catch A Flight
Author: Max Brier
12. A Thin Thread Of Differentiation Between The Bobbers And Choppers
Author: Levi Fysh
13. How To Find Auto Repair Shop - It Is Very Important To Make The Right Choice
Author: Mark Josesh
14. Factors You Should Consider While Hiring A Lorry Anywhere In Bradford
Author: Emma Denton
15. Swipe & Buy: Is It Possible To Buy A Car With A Credit Card?
Author: Williams Orchard