ALL >> Health >> View Article
Ayurvedic Treatment Methods For Hypothyroidism
Total Articles: 1
This can lead to hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid does not make enough hormones for the body's needs.There is also gradual loss of thyroid function which is accompanied by enlarged thyroid gland,which is also known as goitre .This is commonly seen in women aged between 30-50yrs of age.But rarely in men.The exact cause is unknown.It may be also caused due to genetics.
FUNCTIONS OF THYROID GLAND:-
The thyroid gland produces hormones that controls and regulates proper metabolism.
It also regulates body temperature, Controls heart rate.
HORMONES PRODUCED BY THE THYROID GLAND.
The hormones secreted by thyroid gland are thyroxine(T4)and triiodothyronine(T3) which play an important role in the above functions.
These two hormones are controlled by the pituitary gland,which produces thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH)and the hypothalamus which produces thyrotrpin releasing hormone(TRH).
TSH regulates the synthesis of T3 and T4.And TRH regulates the synthesis of TSH.
In hashimoto’s thyroiditis ,a large amount of damaged immune cells attack the thyroid gland. These immune cells are called lymphocytes. Hence it is also called chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis.The lymphocytes which enter the gland destroy the cells,tissues and blood vessels in the gland.This destruction happens very slowly.Hence people with hashimoto thyroiditis stay symptomless for many years.In extreme cases the thyroid gets enlarged and inflammed due to the immune cells so that it becomes an enlarged mass in the neck called goiter.
Initially the person with hashimoto,s thyroiditis will have hyperthyroidism called hashitoxicosis(with excess thyroid hormone) .This is because the thyroid hormone, leaks out of the damaged gland as it is destroyed and gradually, they become hypothyroid.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of hashimoto’s thyroiditis resemble that of hypothyroidism.Patients with mild hypothyroidism have no symptoms but the condition worsens when the symptoms are related to slowing of metabolism.
14 Symptoms of hypothyroidism
1. Rapid weight gain
4. Menstrual irregularities and difficulty in conceiving
5. Pitting oedema of the lower extrimities.
6. Excess sleep
7. Dry,coarse and scanty hair along with hair fall
9. Dry skin
10. Joint pains and muscle cramps
11. Cold intolerance
12. Swelling in the limbs
13. Puffiness of the face and around the eyes.
14. In severe cases of hypothyroidism the heart rate slows,body temperature also comes down and leads to failure of the heart.
Properly diagnosed hypothyroidism can be treated with thyroid hormone replacement therapy.Untreated hypothyroism leads to cardiomegaly,collection of fluid around the lungs(plural effusion) and of the heart(pericardial effusion).
Thyroid profile-TSH levels are usually high which is released by the pituitary gland to compensate the reduced T3 and T4 hormones secreted by the thyroid gland.However these tests will confirm hypothyroidism
Antibody screening:-Antithyroid antibody and
Thyroid scan are done to confirm hashimoto thyroiditis
MANAGEMENT OF HASHIMOTO THYROIDITIS
Hypothyroidism caused by hashimoto thyroiditis is treated with thyroid hormone replacement therapy such as levothyroxine,triiodothyronine etc.
AYURVEDIC VIEW OF HASHIMOTO THYROIDITIS
Improper lifestyle and sedentary life style
Intake of food which are incompatible.
Excess intake of dairy products.
Lack of physical exercise
Metabolism of the body is controlled by the thyroid hormone. When the thyroid hormone fails to meet the metabolic needs of the body it results in hypothyroidism.Ayurveda has a safe and effective method of treating hypothyroidism The digestive fire (Agni) is the unique concept in Ayurveda which helps in pachana or digestion.So in hypothyroidism we can see that there is an abnormality in jatharagni(digestive fire) and dhatwagni(metabolism).Also there is an abnormality in kapha and vata dosha along with rasavaha, raktavaha, mamsavaha ,medovaha and ,artavavaha and manovaha srotas,
TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA:-
A few herbs which are very effective for treating hypothyroidism are
Boerhavia diffusa,Tinospora cordifolia (which is an immunomodulator),aswagandha,shilajatu,etc in combinations are given .
Abhyanga/swedana and tailadhara or takradhara are also advocated.
9 Yogasanas to cure hypothyroidism
1. Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose
2. Viparitakarani (Inverted Pose.
3. Halasana (Plough pose):
4. Matsyasana (Fish poseUstrasana (Camel pose)
5. : surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation),
6. Pranayama and all breathing exercises along with suryanamaskara are beneficial in hypothyroism
8. Pranayamas (Nadi Shodhana Pranayama, Bhastrika Pranayama, Ujjayi Pranayama): Bhujangasana (The cobra poses.)
9. Setubandh sarvangasana (Bridge formation pose shirshasana (Headstand poseDhanurasana (The Bow pose)
Diet tips to treat hypothyroidism
1. Take plenty of fruits and green leafy vegetables. Avoid cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli.
2. Avoid fats and carbohydrates.
3. Reduce the intake of non-vegetarian food, milk and milk products, spicy food,rice,junk food ,cheese
4. Alcohol, aerated drinks, canned food and juicesGet more information on how to use Ayurvedic Hypothyroid Treatment methods to restore your health back to normal from one of the Best Ayurvedic Hospital in Bangalore near Sanjay Nagar.Get many common thyroid treatments inAyurvedic Treatment center in Manyata Tech Parkwhich will help a person suffering from thyroid complications.
Health Articles1. Itchy Manhood? Use Shea Butter And Vitamin E
Author: John Dugan
2. Porcelain Veneers: What Are They And Why You Might Need Them
3. Dental Professionals – Do You Need To Have A Trusting Relationship
4. Why You Will Need Emergency Dental Care
5. Things To Remember When Choosing The Best Dental Professional For Your Loved Ones
6. The Things To Reflect On Before Selecting A Dental Professional That Can Meet All Your Requirements
7. Don't Fear The Dentist - Beating Your Dental Stress
8. Indications Of A Bad Dentist
9. Best Tips To Choosing A Family Dental Expert
10. Regular Dental Cleaning - Why It Is Necessary
11. Top Five Reasons To Truly Have Periodic Dental Cleaning Done
12. Get Emergency Medical Support By Panchmukhi Air Ambulance Service In Mumbai
Author: Dr Mukesh Kumar
13. Why You May Consider Dental Dentures
14. Great Guidance For Denture Users
15. Teeth Extraction And Why It Is Important