ALL >> Sports >> View Article
The Match With Least World Cup Cricket Score
Total Articles: 41
ODI World Cup is always the most awaited tournament in Cricket. It is the tournament featuring some of the best scores individually as well as by teams. However, there are several instances where World Cup matches turned as blackouts on score fronts ending as the matches with the lowest scoring ones. So far, in ODI World Cup tournament’s history, the 2003 season match between Canada and Sri Lanka emerged as the lowest scoring match ever. Canada scored 36 in the match batting first. Sri Lanka chased the scored in 4.4 overs, but still, losing one wicket. The latter won the match by 9 wickets and a whopping 272 balls to spare. This match had the least world cup cricket score in the sports history.
The match was the 18th league match of the 2009 World Cup Tournament at Paarl. Winning the toss, Sri Lanka decided to field first sending in Canada to bat. Opener DR Chumney and JM Davison played together for 1.3 overs until Sri Lanka bowler Nissanka took down Davison in the second over of the match. They took no runs slogging the team at 1 wicket for 0 runs. Chumney than played with AF Sattaur adding six runs until the fifth over. He got himself out in the seventh over at the score of 9 runs. Surprisingly, 9 became the highest score in the inning with JV Harris getting removed at the same score. Two other players, A Bagai and S Thuraisingam, scored 6 runs each. Another player to score a single run was middle order batsman IS Billcliff. Six players in the inning were scalped at duck.
Canada played only 18.4 overs, but the inning could have been wrapped up much earlier. Nissanka finished with four wickets, Chaminda Vaas had three wickets, Fernando took down 2 while M Muralitharan had a single scalp. A Bagai remained at the crease for the highest time, which is 40 mins playing 25 balls, equal to opener Chumney, while I Maraj had to return at the only ball he played.
In the season, Sri Lanka team was equipped with strong players like Sanath Jayasuriya, Marvan Atapattu, Kumar Sangakkara, Jayawardene and so on. At bowling front, Muralitharan, Fernando, Chaminda Vaas and Nissanka were the spearheads. Chasing 36 runs was less than a cake-walk for the team. Marvan Atapattu scored 24 runs batting for 4.4 overs to win the match. However, the team lost Sanath Jayasuriya, the captain, in the last ball of the third over. Kumar Sangakkara and Atapattu played the rest two overs to bring up the win. Atapattu scored 24 runs and Snagakkara played a four. Prabath Nissanka was awarded Player of the Match for his wickets. Winning the match Sri Lanka gained 4 points making further inroad to the campaign.
The Author is associated with CricketBolo.com, a popular
cricket news and update website.
Sports Articles1. Bangalore: The Perfect Combination Of Work And Fun
Author: Manisha Nigam
2. Four-day Test, A Breaking Test Cricket News
3. Benefits Of Using The Right Sports Management Software
Author: Srinivas Siddireddy
4. Fih Publishes New Standards For Hockey Turf And Facilities
5. Liverpool Vs Everton, Visitors May Get A Positive Result
6. Begin Your Training With Professional Basketball Trainers
Author: Houston basketball coaching
7. The Best Three U19 World Cup Cricket Live Scores So Far
8. Australia’s Legacy Of World Cup Cricket Latest News
9. Lleida Vs Atletico Madrid, Away To Get Victory
10. Choose The Precise Pregame Goalkeeper Drills
Author: Michael Magid
11. Ccgrass Is Pleased To Announce The Appointment Of Onno Brenninkmeijer As European Sales Manager
12. How Online Kasino Live Give You The Ultimate Gaming Experience?
13. Find Attraction Of Online Kasino Games Indonesia
14. How To Get Highest Online Casino Bonus?
15. How Online Casino Bonus Helps In Marketing?