ALL >> Business >> View Article
What Advanced Seos Need To Know About Algorithm Updates
Total Articles: 72
Times have changed. Gone are the days of yearly algorithm updates that would upend the search results and leave us scrambling. These days, it’s common to see ranking and traffic changes on a daily or weekly basis — and when it comes to algorithms, Google rarely even confirms updates. In fact, according to Olga Andrienko, Head of Global Marketing at SEMrush, of the 28 updates SEMrush tracked this year, only two have been confirmed by Google.
What does this mean for SEOs? Without guidance or transparency from Google, how should we react to ranking changes or possible penalties, and what should we be aware of?
Search experts at SMX Advanced last week tackled these questions in a session titled, “Dealing With Algorithm Updates: What Advanced SEOs Need To Know.” Andrienko and fellow panelists Marie Haynes (Owner, HIS Web Marketing) and Jeff Preston (Senior Manager, SEO, Disney Interactive) provided some tips and checklists to help SEOs better identify penalties, assess traffic drops and take action when needed. Let’s take a look.
According to the panelists, just because you saw a big traffic or rankings loss on a day where an algorithm update hit, that doesn’t mean you were penalized. In fact, it’s probably not a penalty at all.
As both Haynes and Preston noted, there are a number of things that can lead to a sudden decrease in traffic: site redesigns, site updates, analytics adjustments, and more. When in doubt, it’s probably you, not Google.
Before assuming you were penalized, identify any changes that were made on your site. Talk to the QA team, check tech team activity, talk to the content team — whoever has the power to make updates to the site should be your first line of communication.
Speakers also noted that it’s important to know your data to be able to make a true assessment. Haynes gave us a checklist of things to look into:
• Check Search Console. If you are assessed a manual penalty, you’ll see it in there.
• Determine which pages saw traffic drops. If you are just seeing one page being impacted, it’s not an algorithm change.
• Check all organic traffic data. If you were impacted by an algorithm update, you should only see an impact in Google.
• Look at your competitors. Did your competitors see any changes? Algorithm updates tend to target certain types of search results and industries. Take a look at competitor rankings.
At the end of the day, you may not have been hit with a penalty at all, and it’s important to look at all of the other factors that might lead to a drop in traffic first.
Tools are a good way to track site performance, and while it’s always interesting to see the changes in SERPs, make sure you are looking at the big picture. Look beyond your own site to see how your overall industry is performing and being impacted. And as noted above, just because a tool shows us SERP fluctuations, it doesn’t mean you were penalized.
Be liked & be valuable
If Google can figure out which sites you like, why can’t they figure out what sites everyone likes? I loved this idea from Haynes and what it implies: Google wants to provide users with the best possible experience. It wants to give users what they are looking for, and the updates we are seeing now are geared to do that.
Case in point: Preston noted Disney removed 80,000 low-quality pages and got a boost in organic traffic. Most sites that remove content don’t see a jump in organic; however, because the majority of these pages were low-quality and receiving ~1 visit per month, they weren’t helping the site in any way.
For more details on our products and services, please feel free to visit us at Best Online Marketing Company, Best Online Marketing Company New Delhi, Search engine marketing New Delhi, Social Media Marketing New Delhi & Online Marketing Companies
Business Articles1. Be A Security Guard And Live A Life With Dignity While Protecting Commoners
Author: George Hoover
2. Have A Plan
3. Our Year Round Services Include Part - Iii
4. Best Smart Security
Author: SecurPoint Security
5. Choosing The Best Security Guard Company In Delhi
Author: Sushma Deshwal
6. Siddhakala Renewable Energy System Pvt. Ltd
Author: SIDDHAKALA RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEM PVT. LTD
7. Why You Should Use Professionals To Deal With Your Bed Bug Issues
Author: Steve Stein
8. Bed Bug Exterminators And The Solution To Your Bed Bug Problem
Author: Steve Stein
9. Chief Sand Supplier In Hyderabad
Author: Sand Suppliers
10. What Do Hvac Repair Technicians Do?
11. Professionally Expert Technician Of Air Condition
Author: Honestair Systems
12. Why Live Chat Script Is Necessary
Author: Surabhi Joshi
13. How Does Advertising Use Your Imagination?
14. Export Compliance Needs – What People Should Do?
Author: Fred Danny
15. Hair Removal Products & Epilators Review
Author: Smooth Life