ALL >> Writing >> View Article
Learn How To Write Summaries Like A Pro With These 7 Tips
Total Articles: 1
1. Preparation Is Necessary Before The Summary Writing Proper
Writing summaries, like everything else, needs preparations. You don’t just jump to it and start creating it. There are several tasks you would need to accomplish before doing the summary writing proper. And some of these pre-tasks you can do include:
Thoroughly reading the text in order to understand it better
Annotating the original text
Taking note of the main points in the text
Outlining the entire article, including each paragraph in the margin
Organizing your notes from the major points to the supporting ones
Highlighting topic sentence and concluding sentence
2. Make Sure to Know Which Details to Take Note Of
Information can be overwhelming, especially when you deal with summarizing text. There will be lots of details and points that you need to filter and go through. More than that, you would need to know which points are more important to the entire thought and which ones can be disregarded in the summary.
Some of the details you need to consider include the following:
Source of the information, including first and last name of the author, title, volume number, publisher, and date and place of publication
General idea of the entire original text
Relevant supporting points
Necessary major explanations included in the text
In organizing your notes, all of these details are important to take into consideration. While some statistics, numbers, and dates may seem to be relevant, they should not be included in the summary. Examples are also not to be included in your notes.
3. First Draft of The Summary You Make Is Important
Drafts seem to be unimportant since they are usually disregarded after. But one thing you should remember when creating your first draft is that you should make it without looking at the text. This would reflect how well you understood it in the first place. Create it to be a quarter length of the original text and go from there in condensing the summary.
4. Stick with The Idea on The Original Text
Always bear in mind that you are creating a summary and not an original text. Never put your own ideas on the summary you are creating. Forget your opinions and interpretations and stick with the information presented on the text. And while you are encouraged to use your own style and words, be very careful in using them.
5. Include The Main Idea on The First Sentence
When you include the main idea on the summary’s first sentence, this provides a strong foundation for your summary. Make it simple, short, and direct, and add up the supporting details after it.
6. Never Forget Citations and Resources
Make sure to include the complete bibliographic citation, as well as citing electronic resources. You can use APA format for this.
7. Practice The Skills Needed in Summary Writing
Practice makes perfect and yes, this is true even in writing summaries. There are several skills that would be required if you want to create summaries like a pro. Examples of these skills include:
Note-taking. You can’t just copy things down and call it note-taking. You should learn which information are relevant and would make your summary more effective. If you know how to take notes properly, you’d get to consider the most important points in the text. And this would result to better summary.
Paraphrasing. Paraphrasing is the key to avoiding the risk of plagiarism. You should make sure to use your own style in writing, as well as the words that you are more acquainted with, and write the summary like you own the text. If you need the phrase as is, use quotation marks.
Condensing. While this might seem simpler than the other two skills, it is a very important one. Combine all the relevant information in a condensed form.
More than just polishing your skills, you can also use the aid of tools like summary generator and conclusion generator to make this task a lot easier for you!
Are you having a hard time completing your task? GIVE US A CALL TODAY and get away from all the stress!
Writing Articles1. Importance Of Blogs In Business Growth
Author: Vineet Kumar SDingh
2. Mandarin Chinese Language Learning Strategies
Author: Michel Kern
3. Always Stay Ahead With Online Journals
Author: John Watson
4. How To Write A Good Short Story?
5. Content Writing In Nepal
6. Get Connected To Worlds Leading Business Providers With Hospitality Industry Email List!
Author: Brayden Tyler
7. Is It A Good Option To Get Custom Writing Services With Professionals?
Author: steve robert
8. What Are The Topics For Research And How Can You Search For Online Resources?
Author: John Watson
9. Online Self Publishing Book & Ebook Company
Author: Ammy Singh
10. Online Academic Support To New South Wales University Students
Author: Ryder Austin
11. The Advantages Of Relying On A Transcription Company
Author: Tom Clark
12. Important Apps To Help Students With College Essays
Author: Essay Box
13. 5 Mini Skills To Improve Your Writing And Make It Less Mediocre
Author: Lee Bruce
14. Executivesusa’s Nurse Practitioner Email List Is The Best Marketing Solutions For Your Business!
Author: Arnold Hoffman
15. Bba Programs In Bangalore
Author: isme kumar college