ALL >> Insurance >> View Article
Multiple Employer Plans Grabbing More Attention
Total Articles: 13
A concerted effort in Washington to get more employers to offer retirement plans has raised the profile of multiple employer plans, a largely untapped market for institutional money managers and other service providers.
Unlike multi employer plans, which serve employers in a specific industry and are typically collectively bargained and managed, a multiple employer plan is adopted by two or more unrelated employers that do not want the administrative burdens and fiduciary responsibilities of sponsoring a plan themselves.
The three types of MEPs are those sponsored by a professional employer organization such as an employee leasing company, which can offer it to clients; by a trade group for its members; or “open” MEPs co-sponsored by employers with no business connection.
Some MEPs are several decades old, with the concept well established among professional organizations and associations as well as large corporations with numerous subsidiaries. It has not, however, taken off with small and midsize firms. That's because there has been a lack of guidance or sometimes conflicting guidance from the Internal Revenue Service, which has authority over the tax status of retirement plans, and the Department of Labor, which enforces the participant protections of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act. The Labor Department has reservations about open MEPs in particular.
Now, with four legislative proposals making the rounds on Capitol Hill to help clear up the confusion and make it easier to form multiple plans, “it's going to help conquer what I consider the last frontier,” said Edward Ferrigno, vice president for Washington affairs for the Plan Sponsor Council of America. Read More…
Insurance Articles1. How To Find A Good Home Insurance Broker
Author: Jason Davis
2. What Makes Accounting Outsourcing In Dubai A Wise Decision?
Author: Fadi Khan
3. The Life Insurance Brokers London Can Help You Choose The Best Policy That Suits To Your Needs
4. Help From Insurance Adjusters For Property Insurance Claims In New Jersey
5. 3 Reasons To Take A Retirement Insurance Plan
Author: Edelweiss Tokio
6. Maldives: The Blue Lagoon
Author: Pranvi Jain
7. Everything Needs To Know About No Credit Check Installment Loans
8. Avail Life Insurance Brokers London Services To Find The Best Policy Suitable For Your Family Needs
9. Know More About Teenage Auto Insurance Why It Is Expensive But Necessary
Author: Charlene Hubbard
10. Top Reasons You May Need Funeral Insurance In New Zealand
Author: Funeral Insurance NZ
11. Critical Illness Insurance, The Way To Ensure The Safety Of Your Loved Ones
Author: Ian Nuwan
12. Insurance In Hong Kong
13. Home Insurance Companies In California And Its Astonishing Benefits
Author: caleagle Insurance
14. 3 Life Insurance Policies That Serve As The Best Tax Saving Investments.
Author: arnab Goswami
15. Guide To Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Claim Process