ALL >> Technology,-Gadget-and-Science >> View Article
Learn More About Connector Mating Cycles
Total Articles: 9
The number of times a connector can connect and disconnect with its counterpart while meeting all its specifications is termed as “mating cycles”. The mating cycle of a connector helps to estimate the life span of a connector in a particular application.
For instance, while the mating cycle for a USB connector will be in thousands, a FFC / FPC connector will withstand only tens of cycles. This is because a USB connector is regularly connected and disconnected. On the other hand, an FFC / FPC Connector, which is commonly used in consumer electronics, is not made for routine usage and is unmated rarely. Mating cycles does not have a standard value in determining the quality of the product. It varies from one device to another.
Here are a few factors that determine mating cycle ratings:
The material used for connector contact, plating type and thickness is a major factor that determines the mating cycles of a connector. Cheaper connector pins made of copper alloy with tin plating will lose its effectiveness after 10-15 mating cycles. Whereas, a connector made with quality contacts like beryllium copper or phosphor bronze with thick gold plating can last for 500-1000 cycles.
The mating styles of a certain connector are also considered to determine cycle ratings. Connectors like pin and socket, blade-to-blade and leaf spring will wear out quicker than others. The wearing-out of a high spot that is the actual mating point at the time of contact will end up in a poorer resistance. This affects connector performance.
Plug v.s Receptacle
The factors indicating mating cycle ratings differ in plug and receptacle connectors. When the quality of contact and plating material determines the mating cycle ratings for plug connectors, the capacity to maintain mating pressure is considered in receptacle connectors. Stronger contact pressure will lead to longer life in terms of mating.
Failure to choose proper mating cycle rating matching your application requirements can result in an unreliable connection with short product lifespan. Consider each aspect mentioned in the technical and product specifications document to make a suitable choice.
Technology, Gadget and Science Articles1. Best Repair Service Provider For Your Motorola Phone Repairs
Author: UK Motorola Phone Repairs
2. The Role Of Ai In Improving Customer Experience
Author: Amit Tiwari
3. Erp Software
4. Situations When A Mobile Mechanic Can Be The Reason Of Your Headache
Author: Jason Bower
5. Global Video Management Software Market Size And Market Share
Author: Shivani Singh
6. Working Principle Of Car Jump Starter
7. Benefits Of Information Technology In Business
8. What You Can Assume From The Leaked New Lg Phone Model
Author: LG Repairer
9. Smart Wireless Sensors For Easy Monitoring
Author: Ubi Bot
10. Telstra 4gx Wifi Pro E5787 Vs Optus Modem Ac800s
11. Procedure To Create The Digital Marketing Campaign
Author: James Belly
12. Solar Energy Capacity Goes Up In India
Author: Abhishek Sawant
13. Global Automatic Identification And Data Capture Market Trend
14. Your Roadmap To An Honest Mobile Application Development Tactic
Author: Emma Watson
15. Gan Power Device Market Segmentation, Opportunities, Trends & Future Scope To 2025
Author: Rajani Bele