ALL >> Environment >> View Article
Actiavted Alumina Balls For Water Filtration
Total Articles: 3
Activated alumina balls are aluminium oxide based compounds which are highly porous in nature with a significantly high surface-area-to-weight ratio. With the latest technology, they can easily attain their high quality properties like adsorption, mechanical strength, pore volume and surface area. The striking features of this adsorbent are its non-corrosive nature, resistance to softening and swelling, abrasion resistant, shrink proof, low resistance to gas proof, etc. An assortment of activated alumina is available in the market, which includes adsorbent, desiccant and activated alumina for chromatography.
Applications of Alumina Balls
Alumina balls act as filters in bed toppings and supports for removing any impurities from the gas stream, which helps in the uniform distribution of feed gas. In a catalyst bed, the presence of these balls keeps the bed intact during any fluctuation in pressure. It can also withstand high thermal shocks and is completely unaffected by an emergency start-up or shutdown. The alumina refractory bed support usually acts as an inert catalyst support in oil refineries, chemical industries, ammonia manufacturing plant, etc.
Uses of Activated Alumina
The inherent properties of this compound make it extremely useful in the following ways:
• Used as a desiccant: It works through the adsorption process when being used as a desiccant. During this process, the water present in the air actually sticks to the alumina so that the dried air is passed out through the filter.
• Used as a fluoride adsorbent: It is widely used to remove all fluoride contents from drinking water. This compound, when used in filters, can reduce the fluoride levels from 0.5ppm to less than even 0.1ppm. Depending on how long the water is in touch with alumina, the amount of fluoride can be leached from the water. Basically, more the alumina in the filter, less is the fluoride in the final filtered water.
• Used as a catalyst: It can also be used for various catalyst applications like in hydrogen peroxide production, in the production of polyethylene, as a selective adsorbent for many chemicals, including fluoride, arsenic, etc. in sulphur removal from the main gas streams.
• Used as a biomaterial: The non-reactivity and mechanical properties of this compound make it an ideal material for covering surfaces in friction.
Alumina-Balls (1)As per their application, Activated Alumina Balls are available in basic, acidic and neutral grades with deferment pH value. They can be easily regenerated to the original adsorption efficiency while heating them to a temperature between 110-150°C
also check our latest articles here
Environment Articles1. How Solar Energy Works And How You Could Take Advantage From It?
Author: Solar Etribe
2. Battle Of The Solar Manufacturers
3. An Intro To The Solar Hot Water Heater
Author: Ross Barkely
4. Say Hello To The Highly-efficient Solar On Grid Systems
Author: Solar on Grid Systems
5. Epa To Consider Controlling Polyfluoroalkyl Substances
Author: Environmental Resource Center
6. Solar Products Manufacturers In India
Author: Solar E tribe
7. The Future Of Solar Energy In The India What To Expect
Author: SOLAR eTRIBE
8. Solar Installation Training In India. How To Become One?
Author: SOLAR eTRIBE
9. Looking For Solar Leads? Find A Lead
10. How To Choose The Right Solar Energy Leads
Author: Solar e tribe
11. How Can India Become Globally Competitive In Solar Module Manufacturing
12. FundaciÓn Bioplanet - Lucha Por El Cambio ClimÁtico
Author: FUNDACIÓN BIOPLANET
13. Indoor Air Quality Maintenance – Important Factors To Know
Author: Mark Simon
14. Pest Control In Glasgow By Pest Control Expert Yaser Rashid
Author: Yaser Rashid
15. Radon Mitigation Ottawa – Improving Air Quality To Improve The Atmosphere
Author: Mark Simon